Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Delays

The basement construction was supposed to start last week, and then it was supposed to start today.  I keep reminding myself that there's no reason it needs to be finished right away, but I am feeling antsy already.

So far, I've purchased a few things in preparation.  LED recessed (pot) lights,  which set me back a pretty penny up front but will hopefully pay themselves off by saving electricity.  I still need a couple of flush-mount light fixtures and a couple of pendants for over the desk area... am struggling with the decision of going whimsical (feminine) or something a little more classic (of course, the classic options I've selected are more expensive).

I'm also trying to decide if I need/want a fireplace.  I can't get a gas or wood fireplace because I've maxed out on allowable natural gas usage in this house, and I don't have room for a real chimney.  I did find a very nice electric fireplace, but I can't quite decide if it's necessary.

The most exciting find/purchase for me (which I suspect makes me an uber geek) has been the hardware for a legitimate secret door.  This will be hidden amongst a wall of bookshelves... I can hardly wait to see it in place.



Am still stewing over colours.  I'd made up my mind a long time ago, but now I'm questioning my earlier decisions.  If I'm smart, I'll stick with the plans.

2 comments:

  1. OK. I am so jealous of your secret door - this is the neatest thing!!! I've always wanted a Murphy Bed - would love to have a nice open spacious room where the bed pops into the wall. someday....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting with the secret door! I am sorry about your delays but I have to tell you that I take a little comfort in the fact that we are not the only ones that can't get someBODY out to do work that we WANT to pay them to do. We have been trying to get a guy out to do a fence on the east side of the Tiny Ten~no show. We are still waiting for the guy to come and fix the grout and tiles in our kitchen and two bathrooms~no show, been a month. We have an electric fireplace and I really use it and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete