Unfortunately, my instincts were right. I came home to see that they'd missed doing about 5 jobs that would have been covered over if they drywalled before I got back, and they'd have had to rip it all out. There are a few silly things, that I shouldn't have had to add to the list in the first place... making the closet door opening the size of a standard door from the big box stores... moving the vacuum outlet to outside of the closet... And, a few requests that have been long standing but so far unaddressed, like lowering electrical outlets that had stickers on them stating the proper heights (that they vapour barriered over them, stickers and all!!).
So, the contractor and his team will be returning on Monday to do what should have been done long ago, so that we can finally get the place inspected and then close it up. He and I are going to have a talk soon about lighting a fire under this project. I am starting to run out of patience, and I want to start seeing workers here every day towards that end.
Some shots of the progress they have made...
This is the before of the stairwell
This is how it looks from the top looking down
And this is how it looks from the bottom looking towards the stairs
(I didn't think to take a before picture from this view)
Sadly, that's it. There is no other progress to show you.
Looking at it now, I think that nook under the stairs would make a great built-in bench or day bed for reading. Unfortunately, I need that area for storage. I can't decide yet how I want it done (cupboards, drawers, or just a door so things can be tossed in), so he'll be drywalling over it for now.