Monday, May 18, 2009

The Beasts

Winter, the cat



Winter's an SPCA special.

He's beautiful, and he knows it. Winter is 9 years old now and darned near perfect. (We won't talk about the three years, during which he bellered at the top of his lungs all night, every night.... he doesn't do that anymore.... I should tell that story some time.)

If you wonder how much I love him, I'll tell you that I've been allergic to him for about 6 years. I get hives regularly as a result of living with him, but couldn't/can't bring myself to finding him a new home. So, I take a multitude of allergy pills every day. Benedryl is my friend.

Cotton, the maltese (AKA, the Dude)


Cotton's my eight pound poultice. He's on my lap as I type, and believes with all his heart that it's his job to make me feel loved. He does a good job.

I never thought I'd have a dog as small as Cotton, but he has worked out well. Except... maybe not so much this afternoon when I had to go out in my bare feet and t-shirt to shovel him a path to the dog pen. The snow on the stairs was higher than the dude's head.

Tallulah/Tula the standard poodle



This dog has personality. She's my heart dog.

Tallulah is her registered name. My sister talked me into the name, and I thought that it was so over the top that I started calling her Tallulah Belle Poodle. It started off tongue in cheek, but for some reason it stuck. Her call name is officially Tula. That's what her dog tag says, and that's how I usually introduce her; but she answers to all of the above.

Tula was a struggle for the first few years. Standard poodles are very high energy dogs, and it wasn't easy for her to stay at home alone all day while I was at work. As a result, life was a search and destroy mission for her. She wasn't bad; she just couldn't control herself. Luckily, she has grown into herself and is now an amazing dog to live with.

No comments:

Post a Comment