Tonight took me by surprise. Daily reports from my parents told me that Cotton did very well while I was gone. The combination of steroids, heart medication and cough inhibitors seemed to be doing the trick because he barely coughed at all. Despite the vet's warning, I started to get my hopes up.
Because of bad weather, delayed planes and a full day of work, the dogs didn't come home from my parents' place until 4:00 tonight. I could tell right away that Cotton had lost weight and wasn't his usual self, but my parents reassured me again that he seemed to be feeling quite well. Then, at about 7:00, the coughing started. This was a different cough, that made it clear how weak he had become, and that wracked his whole body. It went on and on, and the medication didn't help. Finally, I brought him to the emergency vet and let him go. He died in my arms.
A Livermore Update!
13 hours ago