Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I've been put in my place.

... and my place is going to have a concrete roof.

I think that just writing out that list of pros and cons convinced me that concrete is the way to go for the new roof. Now I just need to finish checking this contractor's references and it'll be a done deal. In a few months, I'll have a new roof.

Checking references has been a gas. Although I'm leaning towards this roof because of it's eco benefits, most people get it because it lasts so much longer than the typical asphalt roof. It pays for itself over the years, but it costs more in the beginning. Because of that, most people who get it make a lot more green than I do. So, the people I called were all very well to do.

Granted, I grew up with a wealthy family, so I know how the rich can be; but I realized today how little I've followed in their footsteps. My tastes may be rich, but my income is small. It seems that I have changed over the years to fit my lifestyle.

All of the people I called were very friendly to me, but I could barely hold back my laughter as each of them seemed to go out of their way to let me know how grand their home is. "Two and a half stories, not including the basement", "Plaster moulding on the ceilings - which is basically architectural art (he tells me because I wouldn't know)- and very precious", "lots of peaks and valleys", "the pitch is so high that it cost $30K extra, just for the trusses" and one lady told me "Your house would fit in my front foyer".

Good for them. I oohed, aahed and acted impressed because they seemed to think I should. Apparently, they think that everybody aspires to live in a McMansion, but I don't. I grew up in a big home that was a show piece, and that's not for me. I'd rather have a small house that I can live in and use.

However, between all the bragging and the putting on of airs, they all had a lot of great things to say about this contractor. I asked all of them if there was anything - anything at all - that didn't sit right with them, or that they wish had been done differently. They all said that there was absolutely nothing about him, his crew or their work that they'd want changed. So, I guess I've made my choice. A few months from now I'm going to have me a swanky roof.

I wonder if that'll be enough for me to put on airs.

Maybe I should practice drinking tea with my pinky in the air.

4 comments:

  1. Good choice, please let us see before and afters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are what we call "nouveau riche" - money without class. And I've never heard of a concrete roof on a house - is that a Canadian thing?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No practicing drinking tea with your pinky in the air. I like you just the way you are thank you. Congrats on the new roof. Not an easy decision to make. And yeah before and after shots would be nifty Janice. Did I just say 'nifty'? Oh well, I like that little word :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. RR - I'm typing this with my pinky up in the air.

    Concrete roofs are more of a European thing than a Canadian thing. There are a few around here, but the vast majority of people still have asphalt roofs.

    ReplyDelete