Thursday, April 22, 2010

What's in the garden.

I live in central Alberta, and this is the time of year when I'm most jealous of people who live south or east of me. I think we're a month or so behind just about everybody else, and it give me serious garden lust. Some day, I will live in a zone 5-6, or even 6-7.

These pictures are from my back yard. There seems to be a micro climate back there, and plants tend to come up earlier and do better in the back.

This is the second group of the tulips that bloomed.
Like the others I posted a picture of a few days ago, they were an experiment for me to try a new variety.
I only planted a few of them.


At the side of the house, I planted tulips en mass the year I moved in. 200 bulbs, if I recall correctly. 100 in front of each window.

They're thinking about starting to bloom... hopefully in a week or so.


Last year, I also planted a mass of peony plants. ... 7 to be exact.


Then I forgot to water them, and I thought they all died. Luckily, it looks like three - possibly four - might just recover. They don't look like much now, but they're gonna be beautiful when they mature and grow in.
Of course, thinking that I'd killed them, I removed all the tags last fall.
Now I have no idea what colour any of them will be.


The seedum is blooming already.


So's the mystery plant, which has me boggled. All I know is that it came in a 2" pot. It was mostly dead. I rescued it. It recovered, and then it started to grow like stink. Now, it's about to start to blooming like crazy.


Here it is close up. If anybody knows what it is, please enlighten me.




4 comments:

  1. That last one I do not know. I may have to in list my Neighbor Lady to look at the photo and if it's as hardy as you say I'm getting some and I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janice I don't know what the last picture is but I love and I mean LOVE tulips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy crow, woman - I don't even have dandelions blooming yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have that stuff with the little blue flowers here in Texas, but I sure can't remember what it's called. Very hardy!

    Your garden is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete