Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Randomosity

Lately, I can't seem to help but to notice the number of women who carry on conversations from bathroom stalls. I'm sorry, but talking while on the pot is a big, fat ball of wrong to me. There's supposed to be an imaginary sound-proof force field around each stall. Once somebody goes in, they're supposed to become non-existent until they've come out again!

I know. It shouldn't be a big deal in the grand scheme of things; but it's been bugging me. A lot. So, I figured I better get it out there into the great big blog-o-sphere, and out of my system. There isn't much that sticks with me lately, let alone people's tendency to converse at inopportune moments, so hopefully I can move onto something more important now.

... like the fact that my cat just accidental rolled off my desk. He was trying to act all cool and simultaneously get me to rub his belly. Before he knew it, he'd leaned back so far that he rolled right off the back of the desk, and (luckily) landed on the window sill below. Does the fact that I laughed make me a bad pet owner???

As you may have noticed, I haven't been very good at concentrating or holding a thought about much lately. You know that lumberhuffy feeling that you have when you first wake up, until your mind clears? That's how I've been feeling most of the time. I'm struggling through and doing a fine job of faking it (I think) at work, so I figure that I've earned some latitude to let myself jump from thought to thought here. I hope you can keep up.

Which is a pretty good lead-in to my next topic...

I got some good news yesterday. I've been scheduled for my surgery in just a wee bit over two weeks. BIG RELIEF, that is. It won't be an immediate cure, but it'll fix the source of the problem and hopefully my hemoglobin will start building up after that.

My sister is coming down to stay with me over the big event, and to shuttle me to and fro as needed. After that, she'll be taking me out to see my nephews skate in their next big Speed Skating competition. I hear that the older nephew is really hitting his stride. He came home with a gold metal for his age group in a competition a few weeks ago. My younger nephew hasn't won a gold metal yet, but he's happy to report that he's finally good enough to justify wearing a skin suit. He told me very solemnly that wearing the proper outfit cuts his time in half. On the flip side, my sister reports that he's such a string bean, he's the only kid out there in a baggy skin suit. (But if anybody ever tells him that, we'll both deny every word.)

Jumping back to some other related good news... My December trip is officially a go, now that my surgery has been scheduled. I bought my tickets a few weeks ago, but I worried until now that I'd have to cancel because I wouldn't feel well enough to travel. Now that I know I'll have a few weeks to recoup before I take off, I'm going to go about planning my activities. (I hope to have at least one photography tour in there).

And a confession: Knowing that I'll be going to the States soon, I can't stop watching the value of the CDN $. I've been checking it 3,4 sometimes 5 times a day. Today is a good day, because our dollar has gone up almost a cent since this morning. I'd like for it to hit at least $.95US before I go. - Parity would be awesome.

Speaking of money, I had 150 kids come around this year for Halloween. That's a lot of candy, folks. Not that I mind - Halloween is my favorite holiday - but my grocery fund is suffering a bit this week as a result.

I only expected 100 kids, so I bought enough for 120. When I realized how many kids were showing up, I started giving out smaller portions - a bag or chips or chocolate bars; not both - but I still ran out and had to turn the lights off at 8:00. (Kids were still going around in the rain at 9:00!) Normally I wait until the streets are mostly empty, and then go out and offload my leftovers on an unsuspecting group of kids. Not being able to do that was a bit of a bummer, so I will be buying more candy next year. (Just watch - next year, I'll only get 30 kids.)

3 comments:

  1. I am toatlly with you on the bathroom talk, just stop already. Glad to hear about the surgery and that you will have someone to look after you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janice there is so much good, funny, interesting, thought provoking stuff in this post! I am glad you are going to get your surgery out of the way, get to feeling better and GO ON VACATION. I know how much you were looking forward to your trip. The bathroom yakkity-yak, I am guilty but I have to know the person reaaallly well, like best friends for 50 years. I don't talk to strangers, I am a shy introverted kind of gal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please run for city council or something and make people stop talking in bathroom stalls. It is just plain wrong.

    ReplyDelete