Sunday, January 31, 2010

Squatters, Kitchen Purgatory and Picasa angst

Winter was none too happy to discover a squatter in his crinkly cat hole this afternoon.

I'm surprised that the crinkly noises don't scare the dude away. He's usually pretty timid around anything new, especially if it makes noises; but he seems to have gotten over his fears in this case. He's always been a fan of the cocoon feeling.

I managed to recover from a kitchen disaster today, and turn it into something that I may try to recreate. I decided to make my own version of eggs purgatory for lunch today, which is essentially eggs poached in pureed tomatoes with fresh herbs and cheese. I usually use fresh tomatoes, but decided to use some prepackaged vodka tomato sauce instead. (It's like a creamy tomato sauce, with a little bit of a kick.)

Except, I mucked up and tried to scoop the eggs out of the sauce too early; ending up with scrambled eggs mixed up with the sauce. So, instead of poached eggs, I stirred it all up really well, doubled the sauce and melted a couple of ounces of goat cheese into the mix. I poured the whole mess over some whole wheat pasta and it was really good!



In other news, I'm ticked off at Picasa. I've always thought that they did a pretty good job of photo editing and sorting. Even better that it's free. In fact, it's all I've used since Google started publishing it. But. The latest update has screwed everything up.

I can't import one or two photos anymore. No- apparently, I need to import all 600+ 2MB photos every time I open it; regardless of what I tell it to do. I used to be able to go in and pick the last few pictures on the card, import them and start playing right away.

Now, I have to wait while it reloads pictures that have already been imported before I can even select one. I sat through it the first time, thinking it was a one-time thing because of the upgrade. 10 minutes later, the photos were loaded, I highlighted the ones I wanted and said 'import selected'. It tried to import all 600 pictures all over again. Until I can figure this out, any photo that I post will be Straight Out of the Camera, flaws and all.

4 comments:

  1. My kitchen disaters involve darkly colored food yours sounds very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have to get one of those crinkly cat hole thingamabobbies! I bet Tulip would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like shots straight out of camera, they are the best(MHO). I am rendered speechless to the visual fact that Cotton Dude is in that crinkly bag!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That photo made me laugh hard. Good luck with Picasa, gah that sounds frustrating!

    ReplyDelete