Thursday, April 7, 2011

Confirmation and indecision

This is a time when I wish I was wrong.  Cotton had a vet appointment today.  She confirmed what I've thought for a while. He's going blind.  I figured this was the case, since he hasn't been able to go up or down stairs after dark for about a year.  He's got cataracts, which are not painful; he's just losing his sight.  There is the option of (very expensive) surgery to fix this, but I'm going to wait and see.  He's mostly an inside dog, so if he adjusts OK, I'll probably let nature take its course.

I'm not sure what to do about work.  I had originally planned to be off work for eight weeks.  However, based on the success of the surgery and the fact that I was released from the hospital a few days earlier than expected, my surgeon told me I could probably go back to work after six weeks.  Today is five weeks, and I'm not feeling quite ready to go back.  I'm feeling a lot better, but I'm still pretty tired and sore.  I'm not sure if another week will make enough of a difference.   Then again, maybe I'm sleeping so much because I'm in vacation mode.  My job's not exactly physical, so whether I'm sore at home or work shouldn't make a difference, should it?  I  might end up touching base with the Boss to see what she says.

5 comments:

  1. For the love of all that is holy woman, take the damn eight weeks! Have the pain meds gone to your head? And sorry to hear about Cotton....aging dogs just teach us so much about life - value it and them as much as you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with the Zadge on this...everyone I know who has had this surgery suggests taking the full recovery time!
    Baby steps, dammit!
    There's a difference between being sore and tired at home where you can stop and rest, and being at work where you're just stuck!

    I'm so sorry about Cotton.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me three! You're in charge at home, you can't just go lay down or shut down once you go back to work. You're going to touch base with the boss? Gee, I wonder what the boss would suggest. Get off those drugs, they're messing with your mind. Take the full 8 weeks, it'll give you extra time with Cotton, you'll be glad you did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go for the full 8 weeks - unless your job is super-fun :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you think that Tula will some what become Cotton's eyes? How has the little Dude been otherwise? Hugs from a distance for him!

    moosepants

    ReplyDelete