Monday, March 19, 2012

Home Show Remorse

I went to the home show yesterday.  I love the annual home show, but I questioned the wisdom of going this year (when every spare penny is spoken for.)

While there, I bought a Magic Mesh Hands-free screen door.  Actually, I bought one and a friend bought one.  I wasn't going to buy one, but it's a lot cheaper to buy two than one, so she talked me into it.



Something was in the back of my head, telling me it was a bad idea, but I couldn't think of why.  So, I went for it.  Today, I opened the box to look at it, and very promptly said a string of four letter words.

There ain't no magic mesh that can contain a cat inside the house.  And Himself ain't no outside cat.

So, if you or anybody that you may know want a Magic Mesh hands-free screen door, let me know.  I have one available for cheap.

I also bought a mandolin, for cutting veggies, etc in the kitchen.  I'm pretty attached to my knives and, in general, I don't use many other cutting implements.  However, I wanted something to help me julienne carrots, etc, and thought I might also use it for salads/stir fries if it was as useful as the promos all said.

I brought my mandolin home and used it to dice some tomatoes, cucumber and bell peppers.  It mushed the tomato, and broke the pepper.  The cucumber was so long it was awkward to hold with the handle, so I ended up removing the safety handle, and promptly sliced a thin layer of skin off of the pad of my thumb.  It could be that the mandolin just requires more practice to be useful, but I suspect that I'll stick with my knives.

The more I think of it, the more I'm convinced that I probably should have skipped the Home Show this year.

3 comments:

  1. Oooo I got all weak in the knees and my stomach did a little flip when you said you sliced your thumb. I bought a mandolin from the little kid that lives close to us a couple of years back. Haven't used it once. It reminded me of my Grandma and her potato pancakes. We don't go near home shows or car shows no more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tulip is also the reason I don't have a doggie door! She is a total indoor cat and the foxes in the neighborhood would find her very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one of those screens and I love it. However, I do not have a cat. I wish I had a doggie door, though.

    I stay away from home shows, too.

    ReplyDelete