Sunday, July 8, 2012

Tuktoyaktuk - bound

The heatwave that everybody else seems to be talking about finally hit central Alberta yesterday.  I think it's supposed to reach 31C today.  Everybody is saying that it'll feel like 37C because of the humidex, but I don't think that's necessary.  As far as I'm concerned, anything hotter than 30C, can be summarized as Too Dang Hot.

Cotton Dog agrees.  His cold coat, which he usually only wears on walks during particularly hot days, hasn't come off (other than to be "recharged" with more cold water) in 36 hours.  The dude's hot, and has kindly requested that we move to Tuktoyaktuk forthwith.


Except...  What I didn't plan for is that the coat gets really rather solid when it dries out.  Normally, since it's worn for an hour or so, taken off and then folded up and put away, the fact that the coat becomes stiff like a thin cast doesn't matter.

Last night, Cotton went to sleep the way he normally does - curled up in a tight little ball.  When he woke up a few hours later, he was distressed to realize that his coat was acting like a shell.  He could barely uncurl, and he most certainly couldn't curl up on the other side.  Luckily for him, I woke up and came to the rescue.  Tonight, I'm hoping that we can forego the cold coat so that I don't have to wake up at 3:00am to resoak it for him.

1 comment:

  1. it's been close to 100F degrees for a week now. and yet I attempted a jog/walk this morning. Crazy. I agree with your too dang hot summation. I'd do a quick C to F calc only it wouldn't be quick ;-)

    ReplyDelete