Friday, March 1, 2013

Dollar Store Crafts

I had an idea a few months back, to make a sign that I wanted to hang on the wall.  I managed to find all of the materials that I thought I'd need at a dollar store, so I was feeling pretty good about myself... until I tried to do it.

I started with a canvas, which I painted brown.  Then I tried to stencil a saying on it, but had trouble with the spacing and some leakage.  So, I painted the whole thing brown again and mulled it over for a while.

Last night, we had some time to kill before the movie started (Identity Theft - laugh out loud funny!) so we wandered another dollar store.  There, I found a package of letter stickers for $1.50.

After the movie, I used the stickers to write out the saying, and then I used a dollar store paint and brush to paint over the stickers.  I gave it a few minutes to think about drying and then peeled off the stickers.

It's not exactly fine art (I doubt I'll put it on the wall), but for $5 and ten minutes worth of work, I don't think it's half bad.


1 comment: