Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Freakshow/freeshow

I've got freakishly long legs. I've got a 34" inseam, which really only sounds good to people who don't.

I can't get pants long enough in stores, and have to special order them from the States. (Why didn't I listen to my mom when she told me to learn to sew?!?) Somewhere along the way, somebody decided that freakishly long-legged people should have a choice between bank-breaking prices or crap quality. I generally lean towards the bank-breaking prices; but that means that I don't have many pants.

I've got a few pairs of work pants, 1 set of jeans, and a pair of sweatpants. And, horror of horror - the hospital just declared that we could wear jeans on Fridays. This is a problem for me, because my jeans were just retired. I've been asked never to wear them in public. Ever again.

They're in good condition (no tears or fraying) but the zipper is a little gravity challenged. It comes open a lot. I solved this for quite a while by wearing long shirts, but my sister tells me I shouldn't do this anymore.

I recently wore them to a little hole-in-the wall town, where my nephews were participating in a speed skating competition. I figured that I'd be wearing my (somewhat long) winter coat the whole time, so it wouldn't matter if my zipper was open.

It turns out that it mattered. I flashed a guy.

My sister and I ran out to grab a healthier lunch than we could get at the arena, and we went into a bookstore/cafe. While my sister ordered lunch, I ever so subtly meandered to the back of the store (where I thought I was alone) and slowly undid my coat as I walked. I had my head down, so I didn't realize I had an audience when I lifted up my long shirt up - right up there, good and high, as in level with the bottom of my bra if I'm lucky - and yanked up the zipper. I then looked up to find a little reading nook, where this guy on the couch had a smile so big it lit up the room. I turned bright red, took off like a bandit and, once my sister caught up, had a really good laugh at my own expense.

And that, folks, is why I've recently put in an order for some new pants. I've decided to go wild and get a new pair of work pants, as well as a couple pairs of jeans.

6 comments:

  1. How nice of you to provide reading light for the guy in the nook. I prescribe to the notion that someone is always watching, although that doesn't stop me from embarassing myself. Eh, life is short.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool, where are you getting them from? I always talk myself out of purchases between the shipping costs and the possibility of paying duty too. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually end up ordering from Eddie Bauer. Their quality is slipping - you've got to be careful of the materials used because they're leaning towards more polyester lately - but they're the ones that work the best for me. LandsEnd and LLBean used to be good, but both have have switched to a 32" inch inseam, which is too short (and LLBean quality is slipping lately too).

    I tend to do my orders once or twice a year. I try to take advantage of when my parents or I are in the States, have it shipped to us there and then include that in the dutyfree amount that we're allowed to bring back.

    And, sigh, it is horribly expensive; but my only other option is to walk around in floods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janice my sis-in-law is a long leg gal and she gets her jeans from a store in St. Lou, MO that caters to tall gals. I will have to ask her, I think they have other stores.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I just went to the mall and my sister dragged me into a Tristan & America store. Believe it or not, their pants are 34" long and they can order longer ones for you too. The ones I looked at were $75 but my sister says they have good stuff on their sale rack and you can get on their mailing list for discounts too. Just wanted to share!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Olga. We don't have a Tristan & America around here, but I'll have to check out their website.

    ReplyDelete