Monday, December 21, 2009

Mother Nature doesn't like me.

We're in the middle of another snow storm, and the RCMP are enforcing a no-tow policy on the highways. What that basically means is that the highways are so bad, they figure that everybody's going to end up in the ditch. More specifically, they don't want tow trucks out there, getting in the way of the few people that manage to stay on the roads; so they're banning them from the highways. The RCMP have declared that you're on your own if you take the chance; and if you end up in the ditch then you sit there for 6-8 hours before anybody comes to help.

Great.... Makes you want to go on a road trip, doesn't it?

I'm supposed to leave for Calgary tomorrow, to start off my vacation.

Chances are that the roads might get better by tomorrow, but they might not (probably not). And the longer I wait, the more chance that bus tickets will be sold out. So, I booked my non-refundable bus tickets to/from Calgary. This is no cheap detour. By the time I add up the cost of the bus tickets, the taxis to and from the bus stations, the hotel because my returning flight comes in too late to catch a bus that night, and the pet sitter for the extra night, Mother Nature has cost me $350.

If I wasn't headed for beaches and California sunshine, I might be temped to be bitter.

5 comments:

  1. Safe travels!!! I, too, am flying out tomorrow a.m. to the East Coast and its 24 inches of snow - wish my family lived where you are going!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will part the clouds of sunshine for you in Cali cause I have complete power of the weather here. Okay, maybe not, but I hope the trip is safe and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janice I will be thinking of you! Travel safe and enjoy California and take good care of yourself. Have yourself some fun, sun and peace and quiet if that works for you. And take pictures and be prepared to tell us about the picture takin' tour! BYE!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, ladies!

    Zadge, I hope you have a great trip too, and that the East doesn't get wolloped too hard with snow.

    Linlah - I appreciate the efforts, but I'm not too worried. Whatever the weather, I figure that it's California, and will be warmer than it is back home.

    Thanks, Pix. I plan to have lots of fun. You take care of yourself too, and don't go too hogwild crazy with your eggnog creams.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uh-oh, I hope you make it to California soon!

    And Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete