Saturday, December 19, 2009

An idea

It doesn't happen that often, but sometimes I come up with ideas that are a stroke of brilliance, if I do say so myself. I came up with one of those ideas this month, when I thought to I wrap (larger) Christmas presents in pillow cases.

For $5, you can get a pair of 600 count cotton pillow cases from the clearance section of home/linen stores. (I went to Homesense, but I suspect that you could hit just about any clearance section.) Then, for another $2.50, you buy a roll of wired ribbon - one roll is enough for 5 or 6 gifts - and make a big bow at the top of each case to close it up and make it pretty.



It's earth friendly, cheaper than going the paper bag route, and reusable. And, it's not "I'll shove this down in the basement and hope I have another use" reusable. Who doesn't want 600 count pillow cases? Heck, I suspect that the pillow cases may be a bigger hit than some of the gifts inside of them.

For my nephews I used one per gift - my sister will collect them to use afterwards. For adults, I put the second pillow case inside with the gift, so that they end up with the set.

Is that not genius?!?

7 comments:

  1. Great idea!!! You're our own little Martha Stewart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant idea and now no excuses for bad wrapping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha... if you only knew what was in that package, you'd know how far from Marth Stewart I am.

    I'm cheap, simple as that. I'm always looking for ways to be cheap without looking cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a great idea. I can handle the two pillow cases, getting the the gift and placing it inside but I can't no matter how I try make a bow look that pretty and that pretty bow makes that whole package look fantastic! And I used to have to do gift wrapping in a small gift shop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pix - the bow is easy as pie. Take a length of wired ribbon, and fold it into zig zags, the width that you want the bow. (Don't wrap it around itself; fold it into layers.)

    Take a piece of wire, string or narrow ribbon and tie it tightly in the center of the folded ribbon - leave enough on the ends (of the wire/string/narrow ribbon) so that you can wrap it around the pillow case to tie it closed.

    Then, seperate and fluff the loops on either side. The wire will hold it in place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janice this is frightening but I think I understand exactly what you have told me to do. If I have time today and Hobby Lobby is not a zoo I am going to buy a roll of wired ribbon and give it a try. Hopefully I will have a bow tree topper for the tree on the porch! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great! And I love your idea of putting the second pillowcase inside so they have a set.

    I keep planning to sew cloth Christmas gift bags but I haven't gotten my procrastinator self to actually do it yet. ;) Plus as you said, what would they do with the bag for the rest of the year...

    ReplyDelete