Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Dinner tonight

I don't often post recipes, because most of mine come from cookbooks. I don't want to be accused of thieving or copycat writing, so I've generally limited my food related yapping to how I fixed recipes gone wrong.

Tonight, I'm posting a recipe. I didn't get this one from a book. I got the first part from a friend. I figure it probably started off in a book, but she probably tweaked it, then I tweaked, then I added to it some more to it. At this point, I'm going to call it my own.

First, I made what I call black bean salsa salad. I don't remember what it was originally called.

  • Two 15oz cans of drained and rinsed black beans.
  • two large tomatoes, cut up
  • 1.5 cups of cooked and cooled frozen corn.
  • 1/4 of a small red onion, diced (or more, if you want)
  • 1/2 a diced sweet pepper. I usually go with green for the colour. Red or yellow works too.
  • 1 avocado, cut into bite sized pieces
  • 1 chopped up jalapeno
  • 1 can of chopped chopped green chilies
  • 1/4 cup of lime juice (I've used lemon juice in a pinch... not quite as good.)
  • 2 Tbsp of olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp of red wine vinegar
  • Ground black pepper to taste

That's the salad. It's a favorite of mine to go beside hamburgers or grilled chicken. On hot summer days, it makes a great meal on it's own. The problem is that the recipe is big; and as a single girl, I can only eat so much bean salad. I'm always looking for ways to mix it up.

Today, I roasted a pork tenderloin in the oven (375 for about a half hour), cut it into medallions and then poured a couple cups of the salad over them as a garnish.

You know what's even better than winging an unplanned dinner and having it work out?
There's enough left over for Healthy cold lunches for the next couple of days.

4 comments:

  1. Okay, not the point but OH yeah hot summer days but I do like that it makes enough for lunch during the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah that sounds good. I will be making it and putting it over chicken and I think I would like it over a cheese omelet. Excellent source of fiber which makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love black bean salads. Also have one that is a warm black bean salad that is incredibly tasty; wishing I could convince the family of its tastiness though :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh... I'd love to see that warm black bean salad recipe, if you're willing to share.

    ReplyDelete