Friday, February 19, 2010

A lesson in Eh

With the Olympics in Canada, I'm hearing and seeing people from other countries trying out our sacred word: Eh.

It can be a versatile word; but dudes, you're getting it wrong.

Depending on context and tone, Eh has a bevy of purposes; but it almost always has a meaning.

With a sentence, it could mean:
  • Right? - It's cold out, eh?
  • Know what I mean? - We're at the bar, eh (where we're always at); and then...
  • Don't you think? - We should probably get back to work, eh?
  • Will you? - Pick up a loaf of bread and some milk on the way home, eh?
  • What do you think? We should paint this room blue, eh?
  • Seriously - Dude, you're driving like an idiot, eh.
  • Like I told you - Put that away, eh?

On it's own, it can mean:
  • Hey you!
  • What did you say?
  • Don't you think so?
  • WOW!!
  • What do you mean?
  • Seriously?
  • You're joking!!!??

Eh can make a sentence friendly and approachable. Or, with a different tone it can imply all sorts of attitude. It can ask a question, or make a statement. It can get somebody's attention, or conclude a conversation. What it's rarely used for is as a space filler.

You don't just tack it on to the end of a sentence for nothing, eh.

8 comments:

  1. I love it! I never use the word but love hearing it!

    Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I lived on the Olympic Peninsula for years and they too tend to use the sacred word. Groovy, eh?

    BTW: Yes, since your Canadian you can be my neighbor, because I'm moving back to WA this year - even if I have to kill someone.

    Happy SITS back at you ....eh ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't say I've ever had a use for the word, until you provided this fine explanation. Perhaps I'll test it out when I tune in tonight, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I swear I had no idea I said eh until I went to America for the first time, and it was pointed out to me that I did, every single time that I did. That was often. Eh is like breathing - if you notice you're doing it there's probably something wrong with the way you're doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was the same way. I didn't think I said it at all, until an American friend pointed it out. Although, I've been known to pepper in the odd Eh when I want to emphasize my patriotism.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL Love this post. Thanks for explaining the etymology of "eh".

    One question: Is it always pronounced the same? When I see it I say "ay." Or maybe it's just "eh" as in "e"dward?

    ReplyDelete