Tuesday, June 21, 2011

As fast as a speeding warthog.

Because I really do want to be accountable here about my goal to start running again, I thought I'd give an update.

It's not going well.  I am continuing to persevere, but I have not made the progress I was hoping for.  First, there are some post-surgical complications that I didn't plan on.  If you've ever had a baby or lower abdominal surgery, I suspect you know of what I speak.  Needless to say, there are times when it really isn't advisable for me to be exercising without easy and fast access to home.

To get around that, I've been running around the close I live in.  It's a pretty big close, so it's better than running on a track, but this has its own complications.  The first time I run around, the neighbours give me a big wave with a smile.  The second time, I get a weird look and a small wave.  The third time, they pretend not to see me, and by the fifth lap, I've reinforced my reputation as the neighbourhood weirdo.

Today was a pretty good day, so I headed out on a bigger loop, out to the main road, and around the subdivision.  The first half of the run went pretty well, but I ended up walking home.  I really need to find some better stretching exercises, because my calves were killing me.    I used to have (but have since lost) a great list of stretches that had stick drawings and everything.  I remember pulling it out before and after I went for a run each time to make sure I was doing it right.  If nothing else, I became more flexible doing those than I was prior to taking up running; but holy cow, am I tied up in a knot lately.  Once I start getting too tired, my left foot starts slapping down as I run, and if I'm not careful, I'll start veering off to that side.  Elegant, I'm not.

But, I have to start somewhere, right?  Right now, I doubt I'm going to make my goal of 8km by August.  I'm reworking that goal now, to a few smaller goals.  1.  Keep jogging, aim to run three times every week, all summer and beyond.  2.  Try to get better and go further every week.

2 comments:

  1. I am impressed with what you ARE doing! I am lots older than you and I am sticking to walking and it works good for me. But boy it is tough to get my butt out there and get it done! I think your revised goal sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to get in some trail running, but lately that hasn't happened. Our last trail run, I was thundering along like a pregnant hippo. So not pretty.
    I'm going to blame the giant hills and not my laziness.
    Runner's World online has some awesome stretches archived.

    ReplyDelete