Sunday, July 5, 2009

Gardens

Last summer, I discovered that a neighbourhood cat was using the dirt along the side of my house as a litter box. I decided to plant barrier plants in the area to keep the cats away. Somehow - the way these things always do - it grew into something much bigger. I've been digging for weeks, but the cat crap garden is officially done. (Sorry - all my gardens have names, and this one kinda stuck)





It's mostly ground cover, with lilacs at either end of the house, peonies planted every 3-4 feet, and a will-be-tall-someday juniper in the very center. There are sweet peas planted on either side of the juniper. I'm thinking that I'll plant clematis there down the road.

I tried to be fiscally responsible (*snicker*) so I planted small, young plants. It'll be a few years before they fill in.

The 12 feet along the side of the deck is the only garden in the yard that's reserved for annuals. Of all the plants around, sweet peas, cosmos and lavartera are still my favorites. Again... they're small. Our weather still has everything about a month behind.



Needless to say, I'm in denial and pretending that I've got a lush, healthy lawn. Otherwise, I'd be too embarrassed to show pictures of the area.







Oliver's garden has filled in quite nicely this year, despite a distinct lack of attention from me.
I planted it two years ago, in memory of Oliver the cat who died that year.




Please pretend that the lawn is lush and green in this picture too.

No comments:

Post a Comment