Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Closet Door Stumper

I have a decor decision that's got me stumped. I was going to ignore it for a few months and hope that the solution came to me, but the decision is being forced on me.

My spare room needs closet doors. It came with mirrored closet doors, but I took them down and gave them to charity. The spare room closet has been wide open and flashing its mess at whoever walks by ever since.

The Mecca (AKA Home Depot) has solid pine closet doors that match all of the doors in the house, and that's what I did in my main bedroom. However, I have a feeling that it'd be too much pine in such a small room to put pine doors on the spare room's closet.

There are hollow core doors of the same style (six panels) that I can buy instead of the pine doors, and then paint them the same colour as the walls.

Here's the problem. Both doors are discontinued. There are 4 pine doors left, and 3 hollow core doors. I need 2 of whichever I go with, so I have to act fast.

The facts:
  • The pine doors cost 3 times the price of the hollow core doors.
  • Either door has to have 6" cut off the bottom, leaving the hollow core doors.... well, hollow at the bottom. I'd have to rig up something to fill the bottom and smooth out the cut marks that doesn't look like a patch job. My male decor consultants (my coworkers) say this can't be done well.
  • The male decor consultants also claim that if I ever go to sell the house, the hollow core doors would stand out as a short cut and potentially lower the selling price.
  • There is a darkly stained oak armoire in the spare room, beside the closet. It clashes with the pine. There's no place else to put it. Then again, I've mixed woods in every other room of the house.
Here's what the pine closet doors look like.

The hollow core ones are the same style, only painted the colour of the walls and hollow.

A virtual tour of the room, so that you can make an informed decision:



Which doors should I buy???

4 comments:

  1. I do like the idea of matching them to the other rooms in the house with the pine. What you lose in a sense of space in the room I think the whole house would more than gain in a sense of overall continuity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for the solid doors!!! Hollow doors come off as cheap! And I love that print of the dog on the bed (Wyeth?)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like the pine doors are the way to go. Which, I don't really disagree with; I was just really hoping that I'd found a way to save quite a bit of money.

    Do you think it'd be too piney in the room? Should I get the solid doors and paint them, or should I stain them to match all the other doors in the house?

    (Good call from the Zadge. That's Andrew Wyeth's Master Bedroom print.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the painted doors. Especially in a small room I think continuing the room's wall colour will help it look bigger. But I'm sure the pine doors will look fine too.

    ReplyDelete