Saturday, March 20, 2010

Dinner tonight...

... and many lunches there after.

I made a yummy dinner tonight that I don't often make because of the size of the recipe. Thankfully, it freezes well; because this makes a dutch oven pot full.

Lentils in Curried Tomato Peanut sauce

1 tbsp of peanut oil
1 medium chopped onion
1 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
1/4 cup peanut butter
2 tsp curry powder
1 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 6oz can tomato paste
1 28oz can of diced tomatoes (I've made this with 6-8 chopped fresh Roma tomatoes too)
3 cups vegetable broth
3 cups of dried green lentils

Heat oil in dutch oven at medium heat. Brown onions and garlic
Stir in peanut butter and next 4 ingredients, then cook 1 minute.
Add tomatoes, broth and lentils.
Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until lentils are tender

You can serve this over brown rice or couscous. I tend to eat it from a bowl with a side of fresh green salad. Today, I also added a couple of slices of cracked purple wheat bread on the side as well.

4 comments:

  1. That sounds tasty. I can't eat peanuts unless they're wrapped in a Snickers bar but I can eat small amounts of peanut butter so I wonder if peanut oil would cause a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could replace the peanut oil with canola. I've done that in a pinch, and it's worked out OK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love our PB here and eat it with chili. So I am thinking we need to give this a try :)

    ReplyDelete