Friday, March 26, 2010

A sign from above

I've got this problem, which isn't really a problem, if you think about it.

There's too much sunlight in my house.

See? Not a real problem.

Sun is good! Except that the there's an hour a day, a few months of the year, that I can't watch tv because the sun gets in my eyes. As it turns out, we're on the month when I can't sit in my favorite chair and watch tv when I get home from work without holding my hand up in the air to block the sun.

It's the piano windows that are the problem. They're short, wide windows about 8' up the walls, and there's no good way to cover them up. I've thought of getting a curtain or stained glass window to block the sun; but I don't really want to do that. For the most part, I like the sun.

This year, my ever so classy solution has been to prop large-ish books on the piano window's sill; and while it may not be entirely attractive, it works like a hot damn.

Pardon the quality of this picture. It's not just hard to watch tv through a sun beam, it's also hard to photograph into it.


Except, that's not what this blog entry is about.
This is about something that struck me as really very funny as I was looking at the books.
... The titles:

Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
Mansfield Park - Jane Austin
The Historian - Elizabeth Kostova
The Fiery Cross - Diana Gabaldoon
Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
Mother of Pearl - Melinda Hayes
(It almost makes me seem well read, doesn't it? Keep going.)
The Darkest Evening of the Year - Dean Koontz
Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
Bad Dogs Have More Fun - John Grogan

And if you look, that book is a little smaller than the others, and sunlight is pouring in around it.

Almost like a sign from a higher power.

7 comments:

  1. Girlfriend, just pop on some cool sunglasses and thank your lucky stars for good light and bad dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The books are a huge improvement over the aluminum foil my Mom used to stick in the windows. Gah. I am not my mother, I am not my mother, I AM NOT my mother.

    The word verifications are seriously challenging my memory skills. A good thing. I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great solution! But I am sure the book Bad Dogs Have More Fun - John Grogan would look so much better in my lap!! I am on an extended sick leave for thyroid problems and I am so bored as I can do pretty much nothing.
    Have a good weekend!
    PS: I hope you don't mind me popping on you like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sunglasses in the house? Why didn't I think of that? That's just too smart!

    RR - better the aluminum foil on your mom's windows than on her head. I know what you mean, though. I'm not a fan of foil or construction paper hanging in front of windows.

    Sandra - you're welcome here. I'm sorry to hear that you're sick, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bad dogs do have more fun. The book idea is great but if you're into colored vases I'm wondering if that might be a solution too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've thought of using coloured vases. If I was going to do something perminently, that's probably the route I'd go; but the sun will move as we progress into spring. It won't be a problem much longer, and I'll take the books down. I actually prefer not to have anything up there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi I saw your blog. You have done a good job, I really liked
    your blog and very informative. I believe that many visitors
    will find it very useful to you

    ReplyDelete