Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Almost A Month in the Making...

Carma over at Carma Sez posted a list of 25 things about herself and invited her readers to do the same.  I'm not sure if I can come up with 25, but I thought I'd start out and see how long this takes.  (I started on July 14.)

  1. I don't drink alcohol.   I can't tell you why, but I knew by my early teens that I wouldn't. This is not because of moral objections, health restrictions or a personal stand; it's just not something that I have any desire to do.  
  2. I don't drink coffee either.  I love the smell of it, hate the taste.
  3. When I was a baby, I learned how to stand and walk much earlier than most by grabbing onto my family's  Old English Sheepdog's hair and pulling myself up.  She used to happily stand still and support me while I found my balance. Although she died while I was so young that I don't remember her, I suspect she's why I've always had a deep-seated love for animals, and that breed in particular.
  4. I was born a natural lefty.  My parents took things out of my left hand and put them into my right until my right hand became more dominant.  Now I'm mostly a righty, but I'm more capable with my left hand than the average person.
  5. I have no piercings or tattoos.
  6. I think my favorite sound is the sound of a pop can being opened.  
  7. The sight of Tallulah going up the stairs slowly (ie - one step at a time) cracks me up, especially if I'm behind her.   The sound, the rhythm, the wiggle... it's awesome.  Sadly, she usually sprints to the top at the speed of light.
  8. I have a piebald birthmark that covers 2/3 of my left leg.  It used to be really red and obvious, but thankfully it has lightened a lot as I've aged.
  9. I can't tell my left from my right. 
  10. I'm toxically allergic to fish and seafood.  Even the smell makes it difficult for me to breath.  
  11. I usually crack open a diet coke by 9:00am.    Although, the early start doesn't necessarily mean that I drink copious amounts of it.  I try to limit myself to one or two a day.
  12. I unintentionally use $5 words when stating the obvious or speaking sarcastically.  
  13. I prefer winter over summer; but fall is my favorite season because it doesn't have mosquitoes.  I hate mosquitoes, more than I could possibly express in one blog entry.
  14. I love to watch storms.  The more rain and hail there is, the more I like to watch.
  15. I have never eaten a chicken wing, and have no intention of doing so.
  16. Even though I work in IT, I'm a bit of a luddite, in that don't feel much need to keep up with technology.  My cell is powered off 99% of the time and only carried for security.  I don't have an IPod or MP3 player.  I only have one tv, and I don't have a DVD or blueray player.  
  17. I have a reputation for being a really good cook.  The truth is that I don't think I'm particularly skilled in the kitchen; it's just that I can recognize good recipes when I see them.  I've got an excellent collection of great recipes.    That, and I cook from scratch using fresh ingredients.
  18. I am continually disappointed in most sit down restaurant foods.   
  19. I don't think I'll ever live in a home without pets.  A house without animals is empty to me.
  20. I have a personal rule about not having more than 50 "friends" on Facebook.  I think that people who have 300+ Facebook friends are deluding themselves.
  21. I am horribly uncomfortable in crowds, even large groups of friends or family.
  22. Despite this, it has become apparent through work that I am evidently quite skilled at facilitating meetings.  Although it's not in my job description, it has somehow come about that I've been named the chair of almost all of the meetings in which I participate.
  23. I credit this skill to the two years in which I participated in Toastmasters.  
  24. That, and the fact that I'm a control freak.
  25. My dad's Mensa.  I'm not.

6 comments:

  1. Number 19 says it all for me. Although number one is sort of, well, really, 100% not me at all in a million years. But I hope all my boozey posts haven't offended you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, no, I'm not bothered by your posts at all. I enjoy them! (Maybe I'm living vicariously through you?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 4 and despite a horrible 6th grade teacher didn't make the change, 13, 14, 19 and I gave up my personal Facebook, ugh it was killing me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally relate to #12 & 19. I originally started with F/B to keep in touch with my grandkids and found some old friends in the process. I tend to keep with that (and my new found blogging friends).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I relate to 2, 21 and 24. I don't think I could come up with 25 things cause my #1 would be I am a procratinator and that would be the end of that list. My procrastinating is just really beginning to bug me but not enough to do anything about it. It is like my head is totally befuddled. Fun to read your list Janice :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started out reading #1 and #2 and was almost ready to claim we were separated at birth. I also agree on 16, 18 and 21

    Thanks so much for doing this and I am now smacking myself upside the head for not getting by to read it until now :-(

    ReplyDelete