Saturday, August 7, 2010

The New Neighbours

Having new neighbours scares me.  I'm not very tolerant of other people's noise or messes, so I'm always afraid of what I'm in for while living in close proximity to new people, until I can get a sense of them.   Regardless of how bad the previous neighbours have been, at least I know what to expect from them and have learned to work around it.  It's the unknown that scares me.  For the most part, I've been really lucky with my neighbours around here; but the ones that have been bad have been legendarily bad.  Around here, people seem to reach for extremes in being really good, down-home folk, or being absolutely miserable to be around.

The evil neighbours moved out while I was in Grande Prairie, and their replacements arrived shortly after I came home.

The jury's still out on the replacements, but so far they seem promising.  They're relatively quiet, and stay to themselves.  They seem to understand that even though their back deck overlooks my yard, they should pretend that they don't see me when I'm out there.  That's a good thing.  I can't say that I like the fact that the whole neighbourhood smells like fabric softener when they do their laundry, but that's an improvement over having to smell the evil neighbours' weekly feast of sour cabbage.  

Even better, I see that they've already removed the trees that the evil neighbour planted on the property line.  Those trees were poplars (very invasive) and planted inches away from my fence.  If they were allowed to grow there much longer, they'd have destroyed my fence. I've been asking the evil neighbour to get rid of them since they were planted, with no response; but the new guy took them out on his own right away.

Overall, I think it might be safe for me to breath that sigh of relief... the new neighbour seems to be a keeper.

1 comment:

  1. Ditto Janice on your feelings about neighbors. I too am sensitive to to other people's noise and messes and that is why we are on "tiny ten". Although it all depends on what kind of noise or mess it is. The "tiny ten" isn't always enough. I am so happy your new neighbor looks to be a keeper. We should all be able to live in peace in our own house.

    ReplyDelete