Thursday, August 19, 2010

Holy Smokes

There are some very serious fires burning in British Columbia right now, and we're feeling it here in Alberta.    For the last few days, the sky was somewhat hazy, but today we've been inundated with smoke.   It smells like a camp fire inside and out, and the major cities have issued air quality warnings (which is a rarity around here.)

I took this picture shortly after I got home from work tonight.


We've got a pretty impressive lightning and rain storm going on now that it took us all by surprise.  We didn't see it coming because we couldn't see the clouds blowing in.

3 comments:

  1. CA went through that kind of haze a couple of years ago, fires on the east and the west of the valley. Hope the rain helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janice that is really something. Hope you get that rain and some serious wind to blow all that out of your area. Well, and getting the fires under control would be good too of course. I can't imagine walking outside is much fun right now and I would hate that was getting in the house. I guess I will take our occasional cow patty stink over that :( Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the feeling . . . unfortunately at least once a year, it seems, the Sierra Nevada foothills are home to wildfires which spew smoke and ash everywhere. If we're lucky, the flames stay away. Two years ago they came within 1.5 miles of my daughter's house--which is really my house--because someone set on fire a pot farm in the forest behind before it got raided. Ah, yes, the CA cash culture. You gotta love it.

    ReplyDelete