Monday, January 10, 2011

Make this cake.

Our theme this month at cooking club is slow cookers.  We'll each be bringing a slow cooker dish to our meeting, and together we'll have a complete meal for 12.  My assignment is to make one of the deserts.  I made one of my favourites, which is dead easy.  Really, the hardest part of making this cake is to find a springform pan that will fit in your slow cooker.    Even better, when it's done, it'll look and taste like it came from a five star bakery.






Chocolate cake from the slow cooker.

250 grams (8 oz) of the best quality unsweetened chocolate that you can find

1 cup sugar
1/2 strong coffee
1 cup unsalted butter
2 tbsp kahlua
4 eggs

Slow cooker
6-8" springform pan
vegetable spray
tin foil
cotton string
  • place chocolate in a heat proof bowl
  • in a saucepan, bring sugar, coffee and butter to a boil at medium heat.  
  • pour over chocolate, and add kahlua.  Stir until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth
  • in a separate bowl, beat eggs until they are lemon-coloured.
  • Gradually add chocolate mixture, stirring until blended.
  • Pour into a springform pan that has been sprayed with vegetable spray.  
  • Cover tightly with tin foil, and tie string around it to hold in place.
  • cook in slow cooker on high for two hours.
  • refrigerate overnight.
Tips:

I've done this in a bath (ie - wrapped the bottom with tin foil, then poured water in the slow cooker.)  That makes it even better.  If you peak under the tinfoil, you might see that it's still liquid when it comes out of the slow cooker.  Don't panic.  It'll solidify overnight.

I like to serve this drizzled with a thin (almost liquid) custard and fresh raspberries.

Don't do like my friend Kat did.  Strong coffee is the stuff you'd drink, not coffee grounds.

4 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I can make this what with all the praying..or at least that's how I read the vegitable spray, but then again I might have read kahlua too many time's and now I'm drunk.

    This may become one of Scout's favorites as he is the sweet eater in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe! It looks great. I might try it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that sound delightful!! I'm more than positive my springform pan will not fit in my slow cooker, but I will pass this along to a friend with a larger slow cooker compared to mine...

    ReplyDelete