Thursday, January 13, 2011

A Present. For me.

From me.

My nieces like to show me things when I go to their house.  Whenever I'm there, they go through their house and pick up various treasures from different rooms.  Often times, it's animal related (we have the same genes) but they also like to show me art.

The family on their mom's side is very artistic, and they've got talented photographers, weavers, wood workers, metal smiths and painters.   They often have various pieces to show me that somebody or other made for them.  And as they age, they're showing me some pretty impressive art projects of their own.

And so, when the older niece brought a canvas to show me, I immediately thought it was an oil painting.  I asked her who had done it.  I even asked her if she'd done it (and whoo, boy would I have been impressed if she did).  Looking closer, I could see that it was a print; but I still thought it was a print of an oil painting.

It turns out, it was actually a photo that my sister-in-law's sister took of a lake in Jasper.    Just the scenery is something I started thinking I'd like on my wall.  When I figured out that the girls in the corner are my nieces, I had to have it.  They sent me a copy of the picture, and I had it printed on canvas.

It arrived today.  I hanged it on the wall as soon as I got home.  Now I can't stop staring at it, or smiling.





Here's a closer look:


8 comments:

  1. That really is a stunning photo. I'm sure it's even more wonderful in person! Do you know what kind of camera they used?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! And I just had one of my prints produced on a large canvas and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The funny thing is, that picture was taken with my niece's point and shoot, (I don't know what kind it is). Her aunt has an Olympus SLR, but that day she dropped it on the beach. Sand got into it, and it had to be taken in for repairs. In the meantime, she happened to be carrying my niece's camera for her, and thought it was too good of a shot to pass up. I think she was right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful!! It looks lovely on your wall!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a lovely shot and I like how the dark wall sets the picture off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you are such a doting aunt :-) (and I mean that seriously - my son is lacking in a proper aunt figure) and that picture is fantastic!!! I bet it is even more cheerful in person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous shot Janice. I think it would make me smile too. In fact, it does.

    ReplyDelete
  8. stunning photo! :) definitely smile inducing. :)

    ReplyDelete