Friday, September 11, 2009

9-11

I was in an airplane, taxiing out to the runway and about to fly to Toronto when the first plane hit the Twin Towers.

I'll never forget that day. We sat in that plane on the tarmac for over an hour, knowing that there had been a plane crash - hearing whispers of terrorism - but not knowing who or when. Then, shortly after they finally let us off our plane, the airport started playing the CBC news over the PA system. Everybody stopped what they were doing to listen.

Looking around, all I could see was the same shock and horror that I was feeling.

9-11 was an attack on the US; but I don't think that there is a Canadian who can't tell you where they were and what they were doing at that moment. We were devastated as we gathered around TVs and watched the coverage over, and over and over again. It felt as though we had been attacked, not "just" the country beside us.

Today is the anniversary of a day that will go down in the history books as one of the worst acts of terrorism ever. Eight years later, it still feels raw.

1 comment:

  1. I may be an exception by not posting about 9/11 today, but I sure as heck remember where I was, although it wasn't as exciting as yours. I was in bed. (It was 5am in California). But the radio alarm had gone off and they were reporting the first plane, so I turned on the TV and never left the couch the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete