Saturday, September 12, 2009

Too Much? Bathroom progress.

I think that I may have finally gone too far with the blue.

My efforts on the $150 bathroom do-over continue. Today, I painted three walls in a left over paint that I'd bought 4 years ago and never used. The reason why I didn't use it was because I thought it was too light, and would look white. And the first few paint strokes did, in fact, seem very white. However, by the time I finished painting two walls, the room seemed overwhelmingly blue.


Or, maybe the problem is that it looks like "baby" blue, which is very much not the look I'm going for.



At this point, I'm hoping that the brown trim and all of the accessories will help to tone it down. I'm also contemplating painting the 4Th wall in another colour, but that would put me over an already struggling budget. (I've only got $40 left, and I still need a light fixture.)




Besides the colour debate, I start what I consider to be something of a Pandora's box on the 4Th wall tomorrow. I need to remove the old wall of mirror and the old (Hollywood) light fixture. When I removed the Hollywood lights from the main bathroom, I discovered that the boneheaded builder hadn't used a junction box behind it (as required by building codes). I am expecting the same problem in this bathroom, and hoping that there will be a stud close enough that I can add this junction box without having to cut/repair the drywall. Either way, it's a big job. As much as I dislike Hollywood lights, I'm kind of afraid to take these ones down.


I still have to find a new bathroom light, too. I haven't had much luck with the local sales or second hand stores yet. At this point, I'm thinking that I may need to bite the bullet and go a little bit over budget to get what I need.

Whatever happens, I need to do it soon. My bathroom is out of commission until I get all this done.

8 comments:

  1. Janice I kinda like the blue but I'm not up close and personal with it. Bite the bullet and go for a light fixture you really love. I think the light fixture kinda makes a bathroom!

    WE ARE DONE! Finally. Back to our lives :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's excellent news, Pix! I'll bet that's a huge weight off of your (and CH's) shoulders. Hopefully the new digs work out for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoolywood lights are the worst. Glad you have the gusto and the knowledge to do a new fixture, junction box and all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know, Hoolywood lights sort of works. We got rid of our Hoolywood lights too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rural - Oh I'm laughing at you laughing at me but HoOlywood is funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. how on earth do you know what a junction box is? i am impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Speaking from the Crib!

    These are the sorts of things that I've had to learn out of necessity. I'm broke. I like to make changes, and I'm usually too cheap to pay somebody to do them for me.

    As for junction boxes, I had to learn about those the hard way. I discovered after I moved in that my first house was an electrical fire waiting to happen; so I traded favours with an electrical engineer friend. I did the yard work around his acreage for one summer, and in exchange he helped me rewire the house. (Emphasis on HELPED. He showed me what to do and then expected to be in there like a dirty shirt. I was.)

    ReplyDelete