Friday, September 25, 2009

The Explanation

I work almost exclusively with men. I love it. They pretty much exist without drama, they're easy going and they're a lot of fun. However, we don't always speak the same language.

Today, some of the girls from another office came over, and asked me to go purse shopping with them over lunch. I've been looking for a new purse for a while, so was happy to go along. And, not only did I find one new purse, I found two! (This is a pretty big step, for the girl who tends to use the same purse every single day.)

After I returned, I piled the new purses with my old one at the side of my desk and went to work. A lady that I work with came over and noticed the new purses right away. As women do, she checked them out, opened them up, and declared that I'd chosen the right colours. As we spoke, two of the guys came over. Hearing our discussion, one of them asked why I could possibly need two purses. Would I switch everything over from one purse to another each morning? Would I need to have duplicates of everything, so that each purse was properly stocked? My having two purses made no more sense to him than it would for a man to have two wallets.

Then the other guy - happily married and clearly well educated - spoke up and said that multiple purses for women is like multiple computers for men.

Oooh, the first guy said. And he understood.

1 comment: