Thursday, September 3, 2009

The good, the bad and the ugly

The good:

The drugs are still working. Sergent Cotton Dog is once again on duty, patrolling the deck; and life is good. He's alert again, and has had no panic attacks since we changed the dose in early August.

The bad:

Tallulah Belle Poodle fell down the stairs last week. It was after I'd gone to bed. She was wandering around in the dark, fell down a full flight of tiled stairs and landed on the concrete floor. She shook it off and came back up on her own steam, but it scared the stuffing out of me.

I don't know what happened - I only arrived in time to see her land - but the possibility that her long hair could have hampered her vision and caused the fall is heart wrenching to me. I was thinking about the fun Tallulah got from the attention of having a funky hairdo; and I never would have knowingly endangered her. I really thought having her hair pulled back into the pony tail was enough.

Needless to say, I'm not willing to take any more chances, so I called the groomer and had top knot removed.

The Ugly:


That's the top of her head. I didn't discover it until a few days after the fall, when the hair fell out. The gash/bald spot is about 2" long. Amazingly, she seems to be unfazed by it all. Me? I'm not doing quite as well. I'm beyond upset to think that I caused her to be hurt.

I didn't see it happen, but my theory is that she somehow whacked her head, putting pressure on the clip holding her top knot , and it dug into the skin. After a week, it seems to be healing. I have no idea if the hair will grow back in, but I can tell you one thing: I won't be growing her top knot long again to cover it up if it doesn't.

3 comments:

  1. The Sergent looks much better and it amazing that our pets goes through so much without a complaint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janice you probably already know how I am doing a happy dance for you and Cotton. Great news to see this morning. I am just so thrilled for you and that little white pup that I want to let out a YA HOOOO!!!

    I so understand how you feel about the guilts with repect to Tula's fall, hell I felt guilty myself for encouraging you to not cut her "do" off so I can only imagine how much your heart is hurting over this. But Janice you said Tah-loo-lah-loo-lah is an easy going laid back girl and if she is doing OK with this that has to be some peace. The gash is healing well, right? I am of course going to tell you to not beat yourself up over this because it WAS NOT your fault, truly. It was an accident. You are a wonderful thoughtful conscientious pet owner and Tula had an accident. I think your idea about the babygate was a great one.

    Oh, CH wanted me to say that he is pretty happy himself that Cotton is doing well. He thinks that was some pretty great news to hear this morning too!

    Sorry this turned into a freakin' novel, but I had something to say this morning and time to say it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pix, you should not feel at all guilty. I had a lot of people telling me not to cut the top knot, but it was ultimately my decision.

    I haven't put a baby gate up yet. I'm considering it, but am hoping it'll be unnecessary now that the top knot is gone. I'm also confining her to my bedroom at night, so that she doesn't wander around in the dark.

    Hello to CH!

    ReplyDelete