Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Trying Something Different

You just can't win a battle against the sun.  I tried for a while, but short of tinfoiling the room, I wasn't making much progress.

My office former office is a sun trap.  It's hard to complain about a plethora of sunlight, but that's what I'm going to do.  It's hot, and the glare off of the computer screen is really bad.  It has worked fine in the past, but now that I'm in there for 8+ hours a day, that glare is headache inducing.

This morning, I started off in the office.  I ended up moving into the dining room, but as the sun moved west across the sky, light started pouring into the dining room windows too.  That's when I had an Aha! moment.  My spare bedroom - a room that I barely use - is on the north side of the house.  It never gets direct sunlight, regardless of the time of day.

And so, I present to you my new office:


Don't judge me for my phone.  Mickey never runs out of batteries.

It comes with its own problems.  That's a tight space, and there isn't room for my two monitors and docking station that I usually use for work.

Making room for the desk meant displacing the armoire and leaving the bed with no side tables...   I suspect the armoire is going to end up being moved down to the basement.  This setup also gives the cat the opportunity to launch himself onto the armoire, which would be fine if he didn't use his claws when he doesn't *quite* make the jump.   The armoire may be going to the basement for now, but it's a nice piece of furniture that I don't want to see covered in scratches.



It also leaves the other room without a purpose, although that might be more a positive than a negative.  I'm thinking a Nest Chair, a few shelves full of books across the back wall and a tiny desk to hold the Mac could make that room into a nice library.

3 comments:

  1. Can the Other room become a spare bedroom or am I forgetting it might be too small. Daybed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your plans for the Other room sound wonderful!!

    How about a daybed or one of those click-clack beds for the guest room, so you can have more room?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The room that used to have my office really isn't appropriate as a bedroom. It's got the only window that faces the front of the house. It's a fairly large and low window, accessible easily from the porch. I use it as a pinch (when the spare room is also in use), but I can't imagine being comfortable sleeping in there with any sense of regularity - or asking somebody else to do so.

    Also, it's pretty darned small. Other than the nooks and crannies, a full mattress fills it from wall to wall.

    I think I'll have to make due, at least for now. The sun will be lower in the winter, so it might be better then. I suspect, though, that the room will be converted into a library before then.

    ReplyDelete