Saturday, September 17, 2011

Spaghetti Pie

It's cold outside and windy, so I made comfort food for dinner tonight.

It's a fairly fool-proof recipe that I fall back on at least a few times a year, so I thought I'd share.

Spaghetti Pie

Go ahead and use full-fat items if you deem them appropriate, but I'm limiting my fat intake as much as possible.

4 cups cooked spaghetti
1 tsp oil
1 cup of chopped fresh mushrooms
1 cup of diced low fat, low salt ham
1 cup of raw peas or chopped green beans
1/4 cup diced onions
1 tsp minced garlic
12 oz of fat free evaporated milk
1 cup shredded low fat swiss cheese
ground black pepper, to taste

  • preheat oven to 425
  • cook the spaghetti according to instructions on box and then drain
  • add oil to skillet on medium high, then sautĂ© mushrooms, ham, onions and garlic until cooked through
  • add evaporated milk and cheese, stirring continuously until it starts to thicken.
  • Add cooked pasta, pepper and peas/beans and mix well.  (If your skillet isn't oven proof, you'll need to shift everything over to a pie pan at this point.)
  • Bake for 15 minutes
This makes eight pie wedges.  Word to the wise, though:  let it cool a few minutes before you cut it up, or you'll have slop.

I used peas in the recipe today.  I served my "pie"  with a side of roasted beets and steamed green and yellow beans.  It was a really good and filling meal that was low in both fat and calories.  

This does not freeze well unfortunately.  So, if you don't have anybody to share it with, be prepared to eat it for a many, many meals.

2 comments: