Saturday, September 10, 2011

Old Dog Project - Phase One.

The stairs off the back deck at my place are rotting and have been on the brink of falling off for a few years.  I have to get them replaced before I run out of luck and they fall off.  I figured that since I was putting in new stairs, I might as well make them more accessible for a certain aging and almost blind dog.

I'm having them made with as short a rise as code will allow, and doubling the run, so they'll be much longer, but at a much lower slope.  They'll be old dog friendly.

The company that makes them does only that - makes and delivers the stairs- so today my dad and I took the first step; we put in concrete blocks to make a landing at the bottom of the stairs.   First we had to remove the 5 inches of pea gravel that was there, and then dig out the clay and replace it with compacting gravel, tamp and level that out, and then an inch of sand.  Finally, four hours later, we had level patio blocks, upon which to set the bottom of the new stairs.

I think today was the hottest day of the year, so I was exhausted when we finished.  I decided to leave the big pile of pea gravel (that needs to be spread out throughout the rest of the dog pen) and the tools, and go inside.  The dogs, who hadn't been allowed outside all afternoon, quickly went outside to use the facilities and were pretty surprised when they got to the bottom of the stairs.

Both are absolutely convinced that they can't pass over the new concrete blocks.


If anybody would like to volunteer to come lift them over the evil obstruction until the new stairs are in place, please speak up soon.  Until then, my dogs will be crossing their legs.

3 comments:

  1. Your handy-ness continues to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Zadge said, for sure!

    What is it with dogs and something new? My bulldog once barked at a decorative rock for two days after we put it in. It scared her too bad for her to pee on that side of the yard. And then, she just forgot about it. She's such a weirdo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it funny how they get used to normal. While he is perfectly able and the dog door is located right next to the slider, Red sometimes waits for us to open the slider when we go in or out. So much work that dog door must be.

    UGH.

    ReplyDelete