Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Hanging In There

I didn't say much about it, but the Cotton Dog wasn't doing so well this fall.  He couldn't seem to settle down, and and kept popping up every few minutes to rearrange himself in another position.  He stopped lying on one side entirely, and  often seemed stiff and sore.  I've been worried about arthritis, so I've cut down on his activities.

What that means is that the Dude doesn't go for nightly walks anymore.  Or, to be more specific, the Dude doesn't walk when we go out anymore.  He gets a free ride.  This isn't unusual in the winter, but I suspect that it'll be a permanent arrangement.  I think Cotton's days of long walks are over.



Now, when we go for walks, he hangs out inside of a baby sling that I wear it under my coat.   You'd think that he'd want down on the ground to sniff and explore, but he's as  happy as a clam.   Even better, he hasn't seemed nearly as uncomfortable since he stopped walking.

Obviously, I want to keep him as comfortable as I can for as long as possible.  I'm still experimenting with doggie massage, and will inquire about medication if necessary.  I'm hoping, though, that it'll be little changes like this that will help him out the most.




4 comments:

  1. Two of my guys are getting stiff after hard exercise..we're trying little adjustments, too.

    Cotton seems happy with his transportation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, how cute is that? My Phoebe would sometimes like to be carried in a sling around my neck, but as she is 60lbs I don't see that happening. Ever. LOL

    Actually, right now, in this land that has changing seasons, they have been on constant squirrel patrol! When we walk in the woods, they race from one squirrel to the next. Good excercise, those squirrels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took The Shone for acupuncture the last two years of his life and I think it really made him feel better! Old dogs are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cotton I think that is the only way to take a walk in winter!

    ReplyDelete