Monday, November 21, 2011

Pets are stinky

I love my pets, I really do.  But it's a fact of life that where there are animals, there will be stink.

My area rug has been out of commission for some time now.   It had been smelling doggy for a while, and none of my attempts to get it clean would clear up the scent.  Long story short, it's been rolled up in a corner of my basement for a while, as I mulled over possible plans of action.

I ended up finding a recipe online this weekend for a carpet deodorizer powder.   I tried it out Saturday, thinking I had nothing to lose.  

I mixed up the powder, sprinkled it around on top of the rug and left it for 24 hours.  When I vacuumed it up the next day, the doggy smell went with it.

Seriously - the stink is gone.  I lay down on the rug, and moved around with my nose to the ground.  I sniffed all over that rug, and I don't smell dogs anymore.

Since most of you who read my blog have pets, kids, husbands or other forms of stink, I thought I'd pass this on.  It doesn't remove stains, just smells.  But it does a really good job at what it does.

Carpet Deodorizer

1 cup baking soda
1/4 corn starch
1 tsp ground cloves
3 bay leaves, crumbled

Mix well, sprinkle over affected area and leave to sit for 24 hours.  Vacuum to remove.
It couldn't be much easier or much cheaper.

This came from the David Suzuki Foundation Website.  I suspect that David Suzuki is known mostly amongst Canadians, but his foundation website is a great database for natural, earth friendly solutions like this.

4 comments:

  1. I think I would need a nuclear reaction to get the smell out of my rug. Which is in the garage. Permanently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you know we are petless right now but not always stinkless. Stink makes its way into the house on the bottom of shoes fairly often. So thank ya very much for the recipe! Ground cloves. Love the smell of cloves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like an awesome recipe. And yes, I will be giving it a try! I'll let you know how it works on stinky bulldog smell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not know who David is but if he can get rid of stink, he is a wise man :-)

    ReplyDelete