Friday, August 28, 2009

My Crop

I tired something new this year. I used upside down tomato planters. Laurie from the Crazy Aunt Purl blog said that her containers didn't hold the water very well, so I bought ones that are self watering. They didn't have Laurie's problem of having the water pour right out the bottom, since you watered into bowls at the top of them; but I had to fill those bowls Every. Single. Day.

But, I persevered. I watered them daily, I watched for new tomatoes, I gave pep talks and I cheered whenever I found new growth.

Yep.

I cheered three whole times.

Aren't they pretty?

They tasted delicious too. But, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the overcrowded tomato plants of the past have yielded a much higher production.

Last year, for example, I stuck two tomato plants between a rose bush and a cedar tree; and then left them to the mercies of mother nature. I had so many tomatoes that I had to freeze most of them, and even had enough left in April to make a big ol' pot of tomato soup. (Which - seriously - if you haven't tried homemade tomato soup made with fresh tomatoes and herbs; you haven't lived.)

This year, I'm sad to say, I don't see any garden fresh soup in my future.

4 comments:

  1. No soup for me either. I had 2 tomatoes this year off of my two plants. I was uposet too.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janice they are...cute?! Sitting there all three of them, such a pretty red... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Nancy - Thanks for popping in! I guess we'll both be visiting our local farmer's markets, eh? I don't know too many people who had a good gardening year this year.

    I don't mind, RR... you can say it. They're small. And orange. And, there aren't (weren't) enough of them. But, they were very good. There's no comparison between store bought tomatoes and tomatoes from the garden; so I was sure to take the time so savour them the way they deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why oh why do volunteers and neglected plants do some much better than the ones we cheer for?

    ReplyDelete