Monday, June 7, 2010

Fire Sale

My mom and dad just bought a new house. They decided to downsize, which means that suddenly 'you should think about coming to collect your stuff' turned into 'if you don't take it, we'll throw it out'.

Much of the things that I've left behind have no actual use; but lots of sentimental value.

Over the next few weeks, I'm going to have to decide between throwing stuff away, selling it, storing it in the basement or using it.

The first carload included a wrought iron table, for which I took the base and tossed the top. I'll spray paint it, then look into getting a granite off-cut for it's top.

Loads and loads of books. It seems I've always been a wee bit of a book worm.

Then there's this: 20 years ago, this was the bomb.



My parents always made it clear that in our family, graduation from grade twelve was a milestone and an expectation - not an accomplishment. Unlike many of our friends, we didn't receive big graduation gifts, and the actual ceremony was something of a non-event. For me, it was a little different. Since that was the year of my big accident, it was something of a medical miracle that I made it to graduation. My parents let me make a bigger deal of it, and said they'd buy whatever dress I wanted.

That dress was what I wanted. It had poofy, off-the-shoulder sleeves, bows, sequins, and multiple crinolines. Scarlett O'Hara would have been jealous. ... And the fact that I'd just come off of a six week IV diet meant my waist would have rivaled hers.

Somehow, it doesn't look as fabulous as I remember it; but I'm thinking that I'll steam it up, put some stuffing in the girl parts and see if I can get a better picture of it. I'm a little late for grad season, but maybe somebody on Kajiji will want it.

Then there's these:

These were the perfect pj's for a college student living in co-ed housing; but mostly, I just showed you these to make Moosepants jealous.



Then there's the important stuff. I told my parents that the one thing they absolutely could NOT throw out was my violin. I've actually got a couple of them, but this is one is my favorite. My dad bought it for me after I aced a significant music exam, and I remember working so hard to prepare for that test... it was the first time that I felt as though I'd really earned something. I was always very proud of that violin.





Since I can't play it anymore, and likely won't ever again, I'm thinking that I want to put it on display. I just need to find a way to make it safe from cat, kid, poodle or any other type of damage. I just need to find something a little nicer than a basic shadow box. Or, maybe I'll pimp up a shadow box with crown moulding, and line it with the score of one of my favorite songs. Either way, I think it won't be long before this violin has a home on my dining room wall.







7 comments:

  1. Love the dress, you know fashion always makes a second and third appearance. And you won't play that violin again because you're out of practice or it can't be played? I love the idea of the shadow box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dress is spectacular...at least when put in the right period of time:) I tossed so many things during the years as I don't like clutter but some things are just untossable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That dress was pretty great at it's time, but I don't know what use I'd ever have for it again. I can't imagine ever having a need for something that fancy again.

    As for the violin, I can't read music anymore, and can't seem to relearn it. It's a byproduct of my head injury.

    ReplyDelete
  4. look at all those treasures!!! A shadow box is the perfect idea for your violin. One thing that I'll never toss is my flute. Something tells me your violin playing was much more soothing to the ears...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I AM jealous.

    moosepants

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm. Don't know about the dress but I love the jammies. I think the violin will be cool displayed on the wall. Is that a little pearl inlaid flower?

    I used to have some jammies with feet(you know what I mean I hope)but once menohhhhpause visited the legs got hacked off.

    I took some of your book titles to book club yesterday. I think we are going to read Little Bee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, you'll love Little Bee, RR. It was a really good read.

    ReplyDelete