Thursday, June 24, 2010

Out of order

I got an exciting phone call on Tuesday.  It seems that the person who was supposed to get their new roof started this week was being indecisive, so the roofing contractor called me to say he'd be starting on my house this week instead. I was slotted to have my roof done in August, but since I know what I want (thanks in part to you) I got to swap places with the indecisive clients.

He said he and his crew would be here Wednesday or Thursday, probably Thursday.  Great, I said.  Come when you can.

He hasn't made it yet.

Technically, he hasn't done anything wrong because, from the beginning, the only agreement we've had  is that he will finish before summer.  There are two phases, and he'll do them both from start to finish so he won't leave any gaping holes exposed to the weather; but other than that, I gave him an end date instead of a timeline.  He doesn't need to come into the house, so I don't need to worry about when he'll be here.

Or so I thought.

(Apparently, I need more paperweights rocks around the edges of the tarp.)

I forgot the little detail that the dog pen has to be covered to catch any stray nails that might fall.  I tarped the pen Tuesday night, and the dogs haven't been able to use it since.  Because the dogs aren't allowed to potty in the rest of the yard, their facilities are unavailable and they need to go on leashed walks four times a day.

I wonder if it's too late to impose the timeline.

4 comments:

  1. Boy, do I empathize!!! Hang it there, it's just starting, save some frustration for later in the project. Keep your sense of humor!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a Change Order to the contract, I say write it up and send it out. But then that's less thinking time with the dogs for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy I am so bad about my attitude about workers that come to the house. We have had very few that have been on time and professional. I hope they show up pronto!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, he called me yesterday. He's sick. He said he'd come on Monday, but I told him to wait until he's healthy again. I don't want a sick man falling off the top of my house. Either way, I'm next, so hopefully they'll get started next week.

    ReplyDelete