Sunday, July 4, 2010

The lesser of the evil neighbours

I have these neighbours, who have lived in the house a few doors down for about four years.  There's so many people who come and go from the house that I still can't figure out who lives there and who is visiting.  The only one who I know lives there full time is the dog; and I actually think he should be rehomed.  (He's the dog that gets out of the yard all the time because they're too lazy to close the gate; but then he gets punished for wandering.)

On top of being a revolving door of people, there's also a lot of jacked up trucks that have those mufflers that really don't muffle any noises  They tend to leave them running outside with the radio blaring at top volume while they do yard work or whatever it is that they do in the garage that they never park in.  There's also a hot tub.  The hot tub is used a lot, and apparently it only works when accompanied by very loud rap and a fair quantity of alcohol.

If you guessed that the common thread for all the many people that come and go from this house is that they're selfish and loud, you guessed right.  You might also have guessed that these aren't my favourite neighbours, and you'd be on the mark on that one too.

Last night, they had another party.  Just as I was drifting off at 12:30, the music was cranked so loud that I could hear it clearly as though it was being blared in my house. Closing the windows did nothing to muffle it.  I considered going over and talking to them, but really don't feel safe approaching a fairly large group of drunk rig pigs so I hoped that somebody else would do it for me.  There are 4 houses that are closer to them than I am, and I can't imagine that they weren't bothered by the noises too.

I considered calling the cops, but that hasn't helped in the past.  The cops take an hour or more to arrive, and they're the sort of people who turn the music right back up after the cops leave.  Also, I don't know that I want to be known as the neighbour who called the cops on them.  I don't know these people, but what I've seen and heard from them tells me that I don't want to be on their bad sides.

So, at 3:00am, I finally got up and rummaged around until I found a pair of ear plugs and put them in.  I find ear plugs to be uncomfortable and they really only muffle the noise instead of blocking it; but I did eventually drift off around 4:00.

The problem is that my dogs went to bed at a reasonable time, and they apparently had no trouble sleeping.  They  - and their bladders - woke up with the sun, and they bugged me to get up and take them out until I finally did at 7:00.  So, there I was in my back yard in my mismatched pj's, puffy eyes and bed head, doing a mental check of all the things I'm supposed to get done today and wondering how I could possibly find the energy after only getting three hours of sleep.

I looked down the road at the party house, and it occurred to me that they were all probably in bed right then, and that they'd probably all be sleeping like babies until at least noon.   It took everything I've got not to fill a paper bag with dog poop, light it on fire and leave it on their front door step.

3 comments:

  1. Dogs are blessed that they can sleep through the crazy. I'd like to be able to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep sounds like the people we lived next door to before we moved five years ago. CH says it only takes one, just one to ruin it for everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky for me, I also have other neighbours who are totally awesome. I ran into another of my neighbours tonight when I took the dogs out, and he mentioned that he'd been the cause of the eventual silence Saturday night (Sunday morning). He also explained to them in no uncertain terms that he never, ever wants to go over there again. I hope they listen.

    Linlah, you are so right. Actually, if I had fallen asleep before the music was turned on, I probably would have slept through it too. I need quiet to fall asleep, but once I do, I am dead to the world.

    ReplyDelete