Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Willpower and weaknesses

A friend and I recently went out for lunch together (before the whole toilet juice on the bench seat trauma) and she used about eight packets of ketchup with an order of small fries.  I must have given her a look, because she explained that she doesn't have ketchup at home.  She lets herself go to town when she's at restaurants, but she can't have any at home.  Apparently, she can't stop eating it once she starts.

Ketchup.  That's her weakness.  Huh.

Another friend saw that I have a case of pop in a cupboard at my desk.  I buy them in larger quantities because it's so much cheaper that way, but I usually limit myself to one a day. She said she can't do that.  If she's got a case of pop with her at work, she'll drink it all in a day or two.  Instead, she spends $1.25 to get a can a day at the pop machine.

Me?  My weakness is baking and chocolate.  I have had to ban chocolate chips and chocolate milk mix from my home.  Nor do I buy cookies.  I try not to bake unless I'm expecting company to assist with the eating, or else most of it has to go into the freezer.  Otherwise, I'll wolf it down in a day.  It doesn't matter how good my intentions are, I'm going to eat it.

It's curious, what different people are drawn to.  Chocolate, cakes and cookies?  Those seem obvious to me... I kind of figured that everybody had the same problem.  Ketchup, I think, I'll chalk up to being a weird craving; but it never once occurred to me that drinking pop would be hard to stop doing.  It makes me wonder what else people can't seem to deny themselves.

3 comments:

  1. I'm a nut for nots. Thankfully I'm allergic enough that they give me a raging migraine and they aren't worth the pain. I can eat almonds and pine nuts but both are so expensive I don't overindulge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nuts aren't a biggie for me. Peanuts and cashews are good in stir fries (cashews in chili) but otherwise I can take them or leave them. Except pistachios. I've stopped buying those because they disappear too quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can not leave leftover cold pasta alone. I eat it standing at the fridge door, out of the container with my fork and a smile on my face. Same with potato salad. Gotta be the carb thing. Famous Amos mini chocolate chip and pecan cookies seem to be irresistible too.

    ReplyDelete