Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Northern Adventure

Today I took off for a short business trip.  I found myself planted in Grande Prairie for a few days, and this place has quite a ways to go before it's a metropolis.  It's small..  Although it's technically in central Alberta when it comes to the whole North, South, Central distinction, it's very much considered a northern remote town.
I'm on my netbook with no mouse... please pretend like that picture is nicely cropped.



I flew in on a Dash 8, which is a twin propeller, not quite a 50 seater.  Again, small.

In the last ten years, I've flown to Toronto, Quebec City, Les Iles de la Madeleine, Denver, San Francisco and San Diego (a few times).  Prior to those previous flights, I've removed my shoes, I've had everything xrayed, I've confined my liquids to 100ml bottles and safely tucked them into ziplock bags.  A few times, I've been asked to power on my laptop to prove that it's real.  Today, before being allowed to board my flight to GRANDE PRAIRIE, I was the recipient of a complete pat down from a lady wearing a banana comb.  I walked through the metal detector, it beeped, so the wand came out.  Before I knew it, Banana Comb determined that I was storing contraband inside of my shirt, and I was getting more action than I'd seen in a long time.  She even tried to do the whole lift and separate thing right there in front of God and everybody (at which point, I said a silent thank you to the powers that be for helping me to choose a supportive bra this morning, and preventing too much movement).

Somehow, I managed not to comment that it's all me under my shirt, and that I don't need to stuff my bra.  For some reason, I doubt that would have gone over very well.

Anyway, the trip was relatively event-less after that.  I found an interesting book about office dynamics and politics at the airport bookstore (and am almost finished).  The flight was fine.  The hotel room is as hot as blazes.  Over the next couple of days, I finally get to meet a bunch of people with whom I've been yapping on the phone for 5 years, and tomorrow I'm going to a BBQ and then on a hike with a friend.  Somewhere in there, I'll try to get some work done.

6 comments:

  1. At least you have something to lift and separate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you know you're safe in Grande Prairie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Tell an old lady! What the heck is a banana comb?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's a link, RR. It's a fashion statement that most people left behind with the 80's.

    http://www.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=Banana+comb&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=KkpSTMnIG9ONnQer5dGdBA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CDAQsAQwAA&biw=1024&bih=372

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my. Well. Thank you. I have always had short hair. And yes I coulda moved my lazy fingers and googled myself. It just sort of tumbled out of my mouth. I don't think I would have taken the whole thing as well as you. Banana Comb or not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my besties lives in Calgary and her mom lives in Grand Prarie. Small world!

    I have had similar stories on the little small flights, like from one island to the next. It's amazing the scrutiny for a flight that last 20 minutes!

    ReplyDelete