Saturday, July 24, 2010

New roof - Before and Afters

The new roof is *almost* finished... close enough that the most of the tools have been packed up and removed, and the yard (including the dog pen) is my own again.    In celebration of this big event, I thought I'd show off with some before and afters.

The front, before:



The Messy Stage:

And done very nearly almost done.






The wee little section of roofing on top of the fireplace chimney in the back will be finished in a few weeks.  (Long story that I won't get into).   Overall, though, I love it.  I think it adds tonnes of character to the house, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how well the colour blends with the siding.  I'm really happy.

Unfortunately, apparently many of my neighbours are not.  The roofer told me today that the city has received (and forwarded on) multiple complaints about it.  So many, in fact, that two city inspectors have come out to check it out, and reviewed the material specs.   The complaints were mostly about suspected breaches of building codes, but I suspect that the real source was that people don't like change.  It bothered them that my house wouldn't fit into the cookie cutter mold, so they came up with whatever complaints that they could think of to try to stop me.    Thankfully, the roof is well within building codes and done right, so they didn't succeed.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it looks good.  It's different, but I don't think it's an eyesore.  Obviously, there's nothing to do about it - I'm certainly not going to have it torn off and replaced with asphalt roofing - but I'm bothered that so many of my neighbours are upset.  I'm also kind of ticked that they went behind my back and tried to cause me trouble.  For now, though, my hands are tied.  All I can do is enjoy the new roof, wonder who made the complaints, and try not to look too gleeful the next time there's a major hail storm and all the asphalt roofs need to be repaired.

11 comments:

  1. Forget the fact that I'm partial to spanish tile and maybe just a teensy biased. I LOVE your roof! Forget, too, that it's pretty much a once in a lifetime investment, which could cause a little roof envy amongst neighbors. You done good, gal!!! Go sit where you can see the roof (and be seen seeing the roof) and enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!!!! And the next time a neighbor's roof is leaking or needs replacing after only 10 years or so, try to look contrite and compassionate ... or maybe just stay indoors and snicker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O..M...G... it looks Great!! So much better than your neighbors', which is probably why some lame-o is complaining! People with TOO MUCH TIME ON THEIR HANDS!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks gorgeous. Of course out here in sunny central CA, where Katie's Mom and I live, that type of roof is one of the preferred models because we live in a FIRE ZONE.

    Let 'em complain. You DID done good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So wonderful that all the colors came together. Bah humbug to the jealous neighbors

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janice it turned out fantabulous! I agree with Katie's Mom, I think there is a whole lot of roof envy going on. Enjoy it, it is very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks great! I agree that your neighbours just have roof envy. How sad that they'd go to so much trouble to try and mess up your plans. But I suspect it won't take too long before you see the other roofs following your lead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all. Yesterday, I was kind of upset about the neighbours. Today, I'm choosing to be amused and to enjoy my new roof (and looking forward to the next big storm).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - it looks fantastic!!! Your neighbors need to concern themselves with something more important than your roof. I'm wondering if we may be living in the same neighborhood - as our neighbors couldn't have been any more miserable towards us when we were building our house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’m so sorry that your neighbors were giving you grief about your new roof. I personally think it looks great too. I love that color. You’re right. It really does blend smoothly with the color of your siding. Let’s hope that your roof proves its mettle should there be really bad weather.

    -- Elizabeth Hoffnung

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your roof looks great too! I think the reason your neighbors might not have been too happy about your choice of new roof is that they are unsure of what the change might bring or imply to the neighborhood. I do hope that they’ve come around by now because your roof turned out beautifully.

    Joann Winton

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the nice, simple design. Keeping it disconnected from the house prevents so many problems.

    Roofing Memphis TN

    ReplyDelete