Tuesday, October 11, 2011

I can't afford

This painting.

And somehow, I can't stand letting it go.  I have never in my life spent this much money on art.  And yet, this is a once in a life time purchase that I can't go back and buy later if I don't do it now.

I'm scheming.   Although there is a refund on the way for the computer equipment that I bought, the insurance claim in general has not be processed.  I'm expecting a substantial cheque... eventually.  Here's the thing, though - I get replacement value on the items that were lost.  The insurance lady told me that I would get a cash settlement for the smaller items, but would have to go out and buy the larger items and produce receipts to get any money back for them.  I don't know what they consider smaller items or larger items.  Come to think of it, I don't trust the insurance company, period.  (They're in business to make money, after all, not give it away.  No doubt that they'll be looking for any means possible to reduce my claim.)

If you're having to scheme to come up with money that you haven't yet received (aren't sure that you'll get), then you probably shouldn't spend it, eh?

But, most of the items that were in the basement were down there because I don't use them.  If I used some of the cash settlement to buy an original painting of my dog, would that be a bad thing?

I just sent an email to the artist, asking her to please wait a day or two for me to fight with my conscience before she sells the painting.  I can't imagine finally deciding that I'll buy it, only to find that it's already sold.




7 comments:

  1. Janice that painting of Tah-lu-lah-lu is stunning! I remember that picture of her. I think there is no question that the painting belongs in your home. It will forever make your heart happy. Forever. Unless you were not going to be able to eat or pay the bills(highly unlikely)I would purchase it :) Just in case you were asking....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I scary thought just popped in my head. I would love her to do a painting of Country Cat. Yes, I would.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pix. One. Last. Time.October 12, 2011 at 4:19 AM

    A, the letter A, scary thought..

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should contact her, Pix. She's been great as I waffled back and forth about prices. The only word of warning that I'll give you is that her paintings are quite small. Most are only 8x8, but if you ask for something bigger (and are willing to pay for bigger), then I'm sure she could do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Pix. If it's something you love, something you'll cherish and you know it won't ever find it's way to the basement, why not have it? You're being reimbursed (someday) for items you didn't love near as much as you already love this painting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pix, I can't believe I am commenting againOctober 12, 2011 at 7:42 AM

    Yikes Janice! I just went back and looked and saw that it is an 8x10. I can see why you are fighting with your conscience. I know you won't leave us hanging on your decision.....

    But the artist is truly gifted. A beautiful piece of art and a lovely subject.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is cheaper than you though.....

    Do it!

    moosepants

    ReplyDelete