Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Garden Pictures

This is for you, RR. I show these begrudgingly because I'm not happy with the gardens this year. I feel like I've put more work into them than ever, but they're still more than a month behind. This is one of the gardens in the front yard. I'm refusing to take pictures of the other one until it fills in some more.

Part of my disappointment is my own fault. When I plant new gardens, I tend to buy small perennials. It saves money, but leaves me feeling impatient for them to fill in.





More changes planned for tonight. One of those $5 astilbes that I just planted has died, and the plant between the cedar and the delphinium has outgrown its allotted space. The astilbe is going to be replaced with lambs ears, and the mystery plant is going to a neighbour. (This reinforces my rule - don't buy plants unless you know what they are and what they'll do. )

Funny story about the neighbour. She's a great person, she really is. But she has killed every plant that I've ever given her... and I've given her a lot.

I have a personal hangup that I can't throw away or deliberately kill plants. To me, even though I know better, it feels like I'm killing a living being with thoughts and feelings. My way to get around that is to move them to the neighbour's garden. With her record it's almost a certain death sentence, but it helps alleviate my guilt. She is thankful, her gardens are fuller (for a while) and she does try to keep the plants alive. So, I give them to her and let nature take it's course. In doing so, I no longer feel like the plants death is my fault.

3 comments:

  1. Well first I have to gladly happily say thanks for your garden shots. I think they look very nice and so many happy different plants. They all work together! Your weather has not exactly been kind to you. Give them even a week and you know they are going to fill in. Am I seeing Russian sage? Remember I am not the gardener here, be kind :)

    Also it is fun to see the porch 'cause I remember the thread on the painting of the porch and I thought it came out, well, cute. But that probably isn't what you want to hear. The porch is very inviting and I would like to park my butt there and share some munchies and a cool drink!

    And then there is your last paragraph! You and CH are in the same garden/plant frame of mind. At the end of season I ask CH to take my ferns and take them over the hill by the lagoon and commit planticide. I can't stand to snuff them out and neither can he. He winds up planting them under an oak and they live well into December! You moving them to the neighbors is way too funny but you know, it does take the guilt out of the whole situation. You did your job and now they gotta make on their own!

    Janice seriously they look very pretty and we just found out about those garden hose bumpers and we have told everyBODY about them. Are they cool or what?

    Ok I am going back to my blog and zippin' my lip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! You do see Russian Sage. Good call!

    That front porch was built last year, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm saving up for some rockers to go out there, and have it in my mind to paint them wild and funky colour. Until then, the plastic chairs will have to do.

    Tonight I sat out there and shared my peanut butter sandwich with the dogs. I'd take a bite, and pinch off a piece or bread for them. Tallulah would lick the peanut butter off the bread (she doesn't like bread, the weirdo) and then Cotton would gobble down the bread.

    Thanks for the compliments on the garden. If/when it ever fills in, it should be quite nice and colourful. I'm just really impatient for it to fill in.

    No need to zip your lip...
    I'm really enjoying getting to know you better through our blogs. I'm seeing a whole different side of you that I hadn't seen before - and liking it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So so jealous! I am itching to get my gardens neat like yours but it isn't happening.

    The monkshood gave up and now it is all blue bells and weed daisies.

    Moosepants

    ReplyDelete