Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Not the best plan I've ever had.

I've been reading a lot about earth-friendly gardening. Everybody says that well rotted manure is a great natural fertilizer that won't adversely affect the environment. So, I sucked up the courage and bought a few bags of sheep poop. (According to my latest favorite book, Ecological Gardening, sheep poop is the best because it has the most nitrogen.)

I'm kind of squeamish, so it took me three weeks to work up the nerve to use that stuff. Finally, yesterday, after digging in a new garden along the side of the back deck, I opened up a bag and worked it into the soil. Surprisingly, the stuff is just like topsoil. I don't know that I could tell the difference between the two without the labels.

Cotton can tell the difference.

I took the dogs in to be groomed today. After I brought them home, I did a load of laundry and went to hang it out on the clothes line. Normally, I leave the dogs confined to the dog pen; but decided to let them run loose in the yard. It took Cotton about 2 seconds to zero in on the new garden. As I unwittingly hanged my laundry up to dry, my sweet smelling, clean white dog was around the corner rolling in, rooting up and I suspect munching on the sheep poop in the new garden.

So, 45 minutes after I'd shelled out $100 to have the dogs groomed, I had to give Cotton a bath.

Methinks the remaining sheep poop will be used only in the front yard, where my dogs don't go.

1 comment:

  1. LOL RR. I sure appreciate you stopping in to read my blog, and to comment like this. Thanks!

    Truth is, Cotton's so easy to be with, sometimes he seems more like a stuffed animal. He doesn't eat food that I don't specifically give him. He doesn't damage things in the house. He doesn't really even go outside much. So, when he does get into some trouble, it kind of makes me proud. :)

    (Not that I want to encourage rolling in the poop.)

    ReplyDelete