Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Kermit's Toupé

I've got a new favorite plant.

It kind of looks like a bad toupé for Kermit the frog, doesn't it?

It's Irish moss. I never thought I could grow it in Alberta; but the lady at the nursery tells me otherwise.

It isn't - and never will be - visible to anybody from the street or yard. There's too much sun in that area, except for directly behind the cedar tree. The only place that you can see it is if you hang over the side of the front porch, or else walk through the middle of the garden (in which case your legs will be chopped off at the knees.) This moss is only for me to enjoy. It's just a little spongy blob of vibrant green with a few white flowers that are so small you can barely see them. And yet, I keep going back to it. I have great hope for this plant.

The plan is for it to spread out and fill in the corner behind the cedar in the front garden. In doing so, it'll block out the weeds and hopefully convince the neighbourhood cats to use the facilities next door. I'm still a bit doubtful that it'll live, but I figure that it's worth an experiment.

In the meantime, Mother nature seems to be on board. Ever since I planted this moss, we've gotten nothing but rain.

2 comments:

  1. Your Irish Moss is very versatile! I had to check it out. Did you know that boiled Irish Moss is added to condensed milk with a little rum and served up as a drink in the Caribbean? Also used as an herbal supplement-fascinating! I just really love the delicate little white flowers.

    I see Kermie lounging on that spongy blob of green with his legs crossed and his arms(?) behind his head!

    Hope you are happy about the rain and that you had a better day today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really?!?

    Well, I've got the Irish moss and the condensed milk. If you bring the rum, we can pretend we're in the Caribbean, and get our drink on.

    ReplyDelete