Friday, June 5, 2009

The invasion

EEK! Mice!

Aren't those little mice great?

I found them at a store on Whyte Ave, during yesterday's trip to Edmonton. I was tempted to buy a whole herd of them, but managed to hold myself back.

Instead, I bought three. ... Three Blind Mice.





A bit of a verbal ramble...

A year ago, I had my ceramic tile floors replaced with porcelain tile floors. I was told at the time that porcelain is more durable than ceramic. In fact, the sales lady mentioned that if I dropped my frying pan on the floor, the frying pan was more likely to be damaged than the porcelain tiles. I didn't really believe that, but if porcelain is stronger than ceramic, then great.

Porcelain tiles were installed. LOVE them. I love the looks of them. I love that they aren't slippery at all like ceramic. I love the way the colour and pattern hide the dirt. Mostly, I love that they were (finally) properly installed. However, I haven't really given much thought to the durability of the new floor after it was installed.

Flash back to last night: I dropped one of the new mice onto the porcelain floor. Right there, in front of God and everybody. (More importantly, right in front of the kitchen island - where everybody would see the damage.) I swear, time came to a screeching halt as I watched that cast iron mouse falling to the ground. I was sure that there'd be a big chip on my floor as a result. But there wasn't. Instead, the top of the mouse's
cast iron head fell off. The floor is completely unscathed.

The poor little mouse had to have a lobotomy.

Don't worry, though. The glue dried clearly, the scar is almost invisible; and the little mouse is happily scurrying around with his little friends once more.



Big score for the porcelain floors. (Although, I do think I'll continue to hold off on chucking of my cast iron frying pan at the floors just yet.)

2 comments:

  1. Janice we had ceramic floors put down in our kitchen and mudroom/laundry room after we moved to this house and they have been not lots of fun. Not the tile's fault probably the installer. But the grout has cracked and crumbled and I want to hang someone for the less than professional job. You know I can see you frozen in time watching that mousie hit the floor.

    I love your mice! Big plus...no vet bill for the lobotomy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same problem with my ceramic floors. You're right - it is the subfloor that's the problem.

    It was a three year fight to get the builder back to come back and fix mine; but the positive side is that it gave me the opportunity to upgrade the tiles. Now I've got exactly what I want.

    Your new chicken came to mind when I saw those mice. I'm not usually a knick knack sort of person, but I've decided that one should surround herself with the sort of whimsy that makes her smile (like your chicken.)

    ReplyDelete