Friday, June 26, 2009

An upgrade to the Toad Abode

Last year, I found a toad in my front garden. This is good, because toads are great indicators for the environment. They're very sensitive to chemicals and pollution; so I figure that if I've got one living in my yard, I must be doing something right.

This toad was hanging out in the garden that used to be directly under where my front porch now stands. I transplanted all the plants to the garden at the front of the yard, but the construction seems to have scared him away.

In an effort to attract Mr Toad or a friend (They're all Misters to me - what kind of female wants to look like that?!?) to come back to the gardens, I installed a Toad Abode in my back garden. I read that toads like to hang out under clay pots, so I "planted" one for him. If he ever used it, I didn't see. So, I read up on attracting toads and came to the conclusion that the Toad Abode was getting too much sun.

So, last night I planted him some shade.

That's Lamb's Ears. It should grow over the top of the pot, and down the sides; and you'll never find a softer plant. I hope Mr Toad likes the upgrade. I'm thinking that if I was as small as he is, and I had access to leaves like that, I'd wrap myself up in one and sleep the summer away.



Warning - Tangent!

Did you know that lamb's ears used to be planted along the paths to the outhouses, back in the day? There's a reason for that, my friend. Those cute little white kittens have never produced anything even half as soft.


Speaking of toilet paper... Last year, as they do most years, my parents went south last winter. I got the job of watching their house while they were gone, and decided to make the best of it by using their exercise equipment while I was there. Except, after I'd been there enough that I'd used the facilities a few times, I started to run out of TP.

I knew there had to be more in the house, because my mom is an incorrigible stockpiler. She and my dad live alone now; but you'd think she was stocking up for a family of 13 before the Great Depression, the way she stock piles things. So, I knew there had to be some. I checked all three washrooms, the linen closet, the pantry, the basement and even the garage. I could not find the TP.

I asked people where they store their extra TP and I got all sorts of suggestions. I looked all over the house again and again, but I never did find it. I could very easily have brought a roll out from my own house, but I'd gotten my back up by then. It had to be there! So, I emailed my dad and asked him. His response?

There should be some leaves outside.




Maybe I should plant some lamb's ears at their house too.

2 comments:

  1. And what a very nice upgrade it is! Now you have inspired me to do a toad house...Does it never end?

    I remember the TP thread but don't remember where it was stashed!? I am a TP hoarder and I have to have Cottonelle...How is that for some fantastical obsessive compulsive behavior? I even take a roll with me when we stay out of town-ashamed, very ashamed but in a strange way satisfied. TMI?

    Your Lamb's Ears-Darling. Some lucky toad will find happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never did find her stash. I ended up bringing a roll with me from home.

    Personally, I like Charmin, so I understand your hangup. I've been trying to switch over to the stuff made from recycled paper, but haven't been very successful yet. (Probably because I still haven't recovered from the single ply sandpaper that we had to use while growing up. I don't miss that septic tank!)

    ReplyDelete