Friday, June 12, 2009

Goodbye, Old Friend

When I was going to going to college, I bought a table off a friend. She got it at second hand store, so I was at least the third owner. For $75, I got the table and 5 chairs. I've had that table now for about 15 years.


It's moved with me many, many times, and it's been painted at least three different times. Sometime around year number 5, a spill in my storage room destroyed the leaf insert, so it has only sat 4 since then.... which is OK, because sometime around the same time, the fifth chair broke.

Tomorrow, the replacement arrives. (You can't see this, but I'm doing the happy dance.)

The thing is, I'm kind of sad too. I should be (and am) embarrassed to show you a picture of the mess on that table; but that's what that table does best. That table is the only piece of furniture or surface in my house for which I don't have to be careful. Sharp objects, paint brushes, dirty gardening tools... it all just gets chucked on the table. Because I don't care if it gets damaged.

When the new table arrives tomorrow, a lot is going to change. As much as I'm going to love my new table, I think I'm really going to miss the old one too.

ps - yes, those lilacs are dead. That's another thing that table is good for: storing crap until I get around to taking outside to the garbage or compost heap.

No comments:

Post a Comment